About Archangel Lightworks:
Archangel Lightworks is shaping a future where the world and the solar system is a more connected place! We are developing laser communication technology which will be used to solve some of Earth’s most critical problems from economic inclusion to climate change.
Join us and you’ll be at the cutting edge of free-space laser communications technology doing work that really matters. We care about our team and will provide you with a fast-paced, challenging and fulfilling environment to leverage your existing skills while you grow and develop.
To support our growth, we are looking for an experienced Optical Systems Engineer with both design and Assembly Integration and Test experience to accelerate our technology and mission forward.
As our Optical Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for the development of our optical subsystems, from requirements definition to testing in the field. You will work closely with the Lead Systems Engineer to deliver high performance optical assemblies for the next generation of lasercom systems. Your responsibilities will include:
- Design of laser communication terminal optical sub-systems for extreme environments (e.g. telescopes, relays etc.).
- Requirement definition and trade off analysis for complex optical systems, finding the optimal balance of performance against cost.
- Modelling of optical system performance, optimization and tolerancing.
- Practical breadboard testing to validate modelled data.
- Working with AIT engineer to define and execute test procedures for optical subsystems.
- Be the subject matter expert for optical and photonic systems.
- Managing suppliers of optical and photonic components.
- Experience defining requirements on optical systems, modelling and performing trades studies to inform design selection.
- Optical design/analysis experience using Zemax for design, optimization and tolerancing. (Sequential, non-sequential desirable).
- Hands on lab experience designing and carrying out tests for relevant optical systems.
Desirable Additional Skills
- Experience designing complex optical systems (telescopes, optical relays, etc.) for extreme environments in mass constrained applications.
- Experience designing optical systems for extreme environments.
- Experience with Structural, Thermal, Optical, Performance Analysis.
- Experience developing systems incorporating control elements e.g. image stabilization, positioning systems.
- Experience conducting stray light analysis and baffle design.
- Experience taking an optical design from conceptual design through manufacturing integration and testing.
- Experience with optical instrument calibration and alignment, and procedure definition.
- Familiarity with optical and photonic components relevant to free space optical communications. (e.g. types of laser, quadrant detectors, CMOS, Focal Plane Arrays, filters and coatings etc.)
Compensation & Perks
- Competitive compensation package (salary and equity options scheme, pension contribution)
- Relocation package
- Annual team retreat
- Dedicated training budget and materials
- Options for flexible working arrangements
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in a growing startup building cutting edge technology to support a world-changing vision
- A supportive team culture with high levels of ownership and responsibility
- Plenty of opportunities to grow and gain exposure in different areas based on your interests
- A variety of additional perks including goodies, discounts, and app subscriptions