ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles.
We are achieving this by supporting a work culture that empowers employees to dream big as they enable new technology innovations with game-changing efficiencies in LEO, on the Moon, and beyond. We are looking for incredibly passionate, bright innovators to join our team as we deliver game changing commercial products to space.
Thermal engineers apply world-class simulation skills and expert knowledge of heat transfer to solve complex cross-discipline problems encountered during launch vehicle and spacecraft design, development, and operations. Intense thermal radiation, aeroheating, cryogenics, and vacuum culminate in a complex thermal problem with a wide array of solutions. Thermal engineers will deconstruct these complex issues to ensure Firefly vehicles meet customer requirements and conform to external safety standards, while reducing margin and driving future evolution of the vehicle thermal systems.
- Determines effective analytical approaches for executing vehicle-level trade studies.
- Owns vehicle level spacecraft thermal models.
- Creates detailed submodels for key thermal events to capture effects of engine & plume radiation, Lunar regolith modeling, and other challenging phenomena.
- Develops thermal control solutions involving Multi-Layer Insulation (MLI) and other TCS technologies while assessing impacts to mission cost, schedule, risk.
- Coordinates thermal environments and vehicle design with customers (NASA, ESA, commercial, etc.).
- Responsible for updating and correlating models based on thermal test data.
- Documents analysis and test for review by responsible engineers, peers, and customers.
- B.S. degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or related field
- Experience with Thermal Desktop
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-discipline team and provide technical reports
- Strong first principles grasp of heat transfer mechanisms
- Familiar with spacecraft thermal control methods, hardware, technologies
- Experience with industry analytical simulation tools such as Thermal Desktop, ANSYS Mechanical, COMSOL, NASTRAN, SIMCENTER3D, or other thermal FEA tools
- Working knowledge of Python, MATLAB, MS Excel
- Experience with thermal testing equipment and procedures
- Strong design and integration skills using 3D CAD software
- Desire to improve model fidelity over time and develop new techniques
- Advanced degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of experience in thermal analysis of aircraft or space vehicles during all phases of conceptual design through flight
- Experience with ANSYS SpaceClaim, NX 3D Modeling, NX Space Systems Thermal
- Experience developing physical tests to correlate and validate analysis
- Experience creating MLI Layups, heater circuit design, heat pipe design, advanced spacecraft TCS technologies
- Demonstrated experience with Thermal Desktop or ANSYS
- Exposure to analysis or research planning at a program level, understanding where analysis fits into the greater development roadmap
- Familiarity with NASA technical standards and spacecraft payload requirements
- Understanding of advanced thermal-related phenomena such as combustion, diffuse thermal radiation, spectroscopy
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.