Bring your passion for space!
Redwire is accelerating humanity’s expansion into space by delivering reliable, economical and sustainable infrastructure for future generations.
Redwire (via our subsidiary, Roccor, LLC), is accelerating humanity's expansion into space through specializing in manufacturer high-reliability satellite technologies, solutions, and products. These cutting-edge capabilities address cost and performance limitations that are helping to revolutionize spaceflight and are currently being utilized on missions with NASA, the Department of Defense, and several commercial space companies.
We have a current opportunity for a Principal Mechanical Engineer located at our facility in Longmont, CO. In this role, you will be responsible for being the lead Mechanical Designer on specific projects. This person will be responsible for managing the project’s mechanical design from concept through production, including management of other project designers. In this role, you’ll act as an expert on all mechanical design aspects of space hardware. You’ll be working across engineering teams to lead and coordinate best practices in design: supporting junior engineers, as well as planning, coordinating, and troubleshooting electromechanical designs. The ideal candidate will have significant prior experience in the space sector, with an emphasis on experience with deployable structures, solar arrays, and mechanisms.
- Act as the mechanical design lead in development, qualification, and delivery of high-performance space deployable products for on-orbit environments and developing technical work plans.
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers.
- Apply engineering principles to ensure designed components and systems meet all requirements such as structural integrity, structural properties, interface boundaries and mass.
- Act as point of contact and coordinator between design team and Program Leadership.
- Interface with multi-disciplinary team members to optimize component and system designs that meet all technical, cost and schedule requirements.
- Utilize hardware-based techniques to perform research and development, iterate on design concepts, correlate engineering models, and help develop manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Provide technical support during flight build, test, and delivery.
- Prioritize Design tasks according to multi-programmatic timelines.
- Help drive internal process improvements and develop department best practices.
- Develop, manage, and maintain a full system design and its associated documentation - CAD, Drawings, ICDs, BOMs, etc.
- Create 3D solid models using SolidWorks CAD software in support of new and existing space flight programs.
- Manage Top-level Flight CAD model, GSE, and BOMs using department best practices.
- Create, maintain, and release component, assembly, and layout drawings compliant with ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards. Utilize SolidWorks PDM system to maintain configuration control.
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other space-related discipline with 10 - 12 years of industry/related experience or a Master's with 8 - 10 years of experience.
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks; experience using SolidWorks PDM.
- Experience leading and mentoring junior engineers.
- Expert drafting knowledge with understanding of GD&T per ASME Y14.5 along with tolerance analysis capabilities.
- Experience with techniques for requirement generation and establishing appropriate verification criteria.
- Must be able to develop and present project information to the internal team and external customers.
- Experience with preparing and leading project stage-gate meetings (such as PDR, CDR, etc.) and interfacing with customers.
- Experience supporting numerous programs through proposal, design, build, test, and delivery phases.
- Self-motivated in applying engineering principles, concepts, and practices of mechanical / aerospace engineering to independently perform assignments.
- Experience and training in safe handling protocols for flight hardware, including cleanroom and ESD standards.
- Experience working within an AS9100 or similar accredited environment.
- Ability to travel - an average of 5% travel may be required.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder (Visa sponsorship not accepted).
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in space industry, including developing, building, and testing space flight hardware.
- Experience with space mechanism design and aerospace guidelines such as GSFC-STD-7000A (GEVS), AIAA S-114-2005, NASA-STD-5017, MMPDS, etc.
- Strong understanding of design for manufacturability, experience optimizing designs for production and ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards.
- Experience with Solidworks Simulation, Thermal Desktop, NASTRAN or ANSYS is a plus.
- Experience working with design, manufacture and verification of electromechanical systems and composite structures.
- Comprehensive understanding of space design best practices and lessons learned
- Background in designing offloading systems for testing systems in a 1G environment
- Experience with typical space COTS hardware such as HDRMs, motors, dampers
- Experience conducting stress/modal/thermal analysis
- Background in composites design, analysis, and manufacturing
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 365, including SharePoint and Team. Microsoft Project experience a plus.
- Ability to thrive and deliver in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong attention to detail with advanced verbal and written communication skills.
Grow with us as we innovate the next generation capabilities for a new era of space exploration! We offer a highly competitive benefits package along with a commitment to our core values of Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Inclusion, and Excellence.
$133,200 - $177,600
How We Determine What We Pay (Compensation Philosophy)
Redwire determines pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data, for our locations throughout the US. We will evaluate external equity and the cost of labor/prevailing wage index, in the relative marketplace for jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company.
For new hires, we strive to make competitive offers allowing the new employee room for future growth. Salaries will be based on the applicant’s level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and internal equity within the company for the same position. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
Redwire is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Redwire is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
All offers of employment at Redwire are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check and your ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the US. Note that some positions will also require US citizenship or ability to obtain a security clearance due to requirements of a classified program.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR Click Here