OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Communication Systems SATCOM Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: The SATCOM engineer will be primarily responsible for SATCOM system specifications, architecture definition, supporting technology maturity, and developing test plans and procedures.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The candidate will be responsible for:
• Development of formal systems requirements for space and ground elements.
• Development of the behavioral and physical architectures of the system.
• Assist in the planning, configuration, implementation, and installation of space station installed and ground station installed communications platforms.
• Develop system-level concept of operations (ConOps), perform functional analysis and decomposition to meet end user needs using Model Based Systems Engineering tools and techniques.
• Conduct industry trade studies and lead trade study briefings to support the selection of hardware selection and algorithm approaches.
• Managing external customers and suppliers.
• Familiarity with communication systems theory including high speed A/D and D/A converters, modulated waveforms (PSK, QAM, FSK, and DVB-S), demodulation techniques, Forward Error Correction (FEC) schemes, and baseband interfaces
• Demonstrated understanding of network protocols and their applications (TCP, UDP, VLANs, etc.)
• Experience in troubleshooting complex communications problems using specialized testing equipment such as spectrum analyzers, optical time domain reflectometers (OTDR), bit error rate testers, network traffic analyzers, and packet inspection equipment.
• As needed run engineering and propagation analysis to review performance characteristics at mounting site on space station structure
• Review proposals, technical documentation, and service level agreement for telecommunication provider contracts.
• Lead large diverse team meetings to positives outcomes.
• Support NASA milestone reviews including PDR, CDR, SDR, FRR, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Associate Degree in Management Information Systems or directly related experience required
• Experience with systems engineering including system requirements, functional allocation, integrated design, analysis, and verification
• 20+ years of relevant experience
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.