SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
APPRENTICE THERMAL PROTECTION TECHNICIAN - TEMPORARY
- Trim and finish composite and composite metallic assemblies.
- Assembly of structures including fit-up, bonding and fastener installations.
- Metallic and composite surface prep using pneumatic tools such orbital sanders, angle grinder & Dynastraight.
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds.
- Prepare parts for vacuum bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections etc.
- RTV molding injection, co-bonding, secondary bonding.
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches.
- Oven cure set up - load ovens, set up thermocouples data logger and set cure profiles.
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 months (permanent hire conversion based on performance and business need).
- LOCATION: Hawthorne, CA.
- SHIFT: 1st shift - approximately from 5 AM - 3:30 PM; 2nd shift - approximately from 3:30 PM - 2:00 AM.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 1+ years of experience using hand tools.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with reaming and honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner).
- Experience with thermal protection systems (TPS) or phenolic impregnated carbon ablators (PICA).
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, read Travelers and SOPs (standard operating procedures).
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working within a fast-paced production environment.
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces.
- Willing to work all required shift hours, overtime and/or weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.