SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COMPOSITES LAMINATION TECHNICIAN
The composites production team is looking for talented individuals to join them! As a lamination technician, you will be responsible for building rocket and spacecraft structures. The task requires both high attention to detail and precision layup.
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches
- Surface prep, using grit blast, hand abrade and power abrasion techniques
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience working with composite materials in either layup (lamination), bonding or assembly of composites (prepreg or wet layup)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience operating a ply cutting machine
- Experience operating a laser projector to layout laminated assemblies
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, read travelers and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working within a fast-paced production environment
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Willing to work all required shift hours, overtime and/or weekends as needed. 1st shift is from approximately 5 AM - 3:30 PM, and 2nd shift is from approximately 3:30 PM - 2:00 AM
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.