LeoLabs operates a global network of radars to map Low Earth Orbit and provide data services. LeoLabs is hiring a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer for the design of electronic packaging, chassis, structures, and interconnects. Leolab’s products encompass a wide range of technologies including Digital electronics, RF/Microwave and Analog circuits, The successful candidate will design, and develop Mechanical and Electronic packaging hardware. In addition, build, test, and characterize engineering prototypes and ensure a successful transition to production.
As an individual contributor, you will function as the responsible Mechanical Project Engineer on internal development projects. Responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems. Experience with RF and electro-mechanical manufacturing operations and processes is a plus
- Experience in design assembly and integration of mechanical, RF/Microwave electronic systems
- Experience with M/S Office Tools i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Experience in developing conceptual designs in support of new business initiatives
- Design for Manufacturability and Assembly (DFM/DFMA) experience
- Proficiency with ASME Y14.5, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards
- Experience with machined part design
- Experience with plastic and/or sheet metal part design
- Experience conducting basic structural, thermal, dynamic analysis with analysis tools such as SOLIDWORKS Simulation, ANSYS Workbench, FEMAP, Nastran, Mathcad, etc.
- Proficiency with Thermal and Structural analysis tools
- Working knowledge of Environmental testing equipment, procedures and qualification activities
- Familiarity with printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication, and electronics assembly processes.
- Able to assess the feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Develop engineering qualification plans for requirements verification and risk reduction utilizing a combination of engineering analysis and environmental testing (Thermomechanical, Shock/vibe, humidity, other fatigue tests, and overstress testing).
- RF/Microwave Electronic packaging experience
- CAD Proficiency using SolidWorks or CREO
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience or a Graduate Degree (MS/PhD) and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience