SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
BUILD ENGINEER (FALCON REUSABILITY)
The Build Engineer role in the Falcon Reusability group is responsible for helping SpaceX achieve rapid reusability while ensuring vehicle reliability. The scope of this role ranges widely and therefore offers opportunities to grow in several different skills and subject areas. You can expect to have ownership and autonomy over multiple business processes and projects and to work to manage competing priorities across different departments.
- Identify projects to improve rate and reliability and drive those projects to completion
- Autonomously keep a pulse on emergent risks to reliability and schedule, and surface concerns to leadership. Report overall program status and critical path items to management
- Analyze statistics across the fleet for common issues and propose, implement, and vet solutions in cooperation with design teams
- Develop maintenance specifications to address the inspections and checkouts between flights, as well as flight-leader inspections
- Support refurbishment operations, process development, qualification or testing of flight-proven boosters and payload fairing vehicles, through technical guidance, procedure writing, and hands-on support
- Support responsible engineers with reuse qualification or prototype efforts through planning or test execution
- Supervise and participate in booster maintenance campaigns to ensure engineering intent of procedures is met
- Customer certification: work with government and commercial customers as the internal expert on SpaceX’s approach to qualifying and reusing launch vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years’ professional experience (includes internships) in integration, design, launch, manufacturing, process, industrial, build reliability, or test engineering role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience managing engineering projects across multiple departments
- Experience analyzing and presenting engineering trades to help decision-making
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing (can be in a professional, academic, entrepreneurial, or hobby setting)
- Experience with integration and testing of propulsion, thermal, electrical and/or structural systems
- Experience writing test or production procedures
- Demonstrated ability to own hardware or systems within an integrated engineering team outside a classroom setting
- Willingness to travel to launch and test sites to support vehicle maintenance activities
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg AFB
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.