SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
APPRENTICE INSTRUMENTATION & CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN
The Data and Control Systems Technician will support the build-up and maintenance of our data and control systems. These systems consist of varying data acquisition and control hardware, wiring and interface harnesses, and a wide variety of instrumentation. The goal of the Data and Control Systems group is to meet a variety of test requirements to achieve safe, economical, and reliable access to space.
- Perform complex technical assignments involving instrumentation and data acquisition/processing systems
- Maintain, calibrate, configure, monitor, test, troubleshoot, install, and repair instrumentation, process controls, data acquisition systems, and electrical systems
- Investigate, diagnose, correct, and document instrumentation or system malfunctions
- Analyze results of calibrations and processed data and assist in the interpretation of test data
- Adjust, repair, or replace faulty components of test setups and equipment
- Lay out, build, test, troubleshoot, repair, and modify developmental and production electrical and electronic units, assemblies, components, parts, equipment, and systems
- Configure the data acquisition hardware
- Perform wire terminations to a variety of instruments and verify sensor health: pressure transducers, thermocouples, valves, limits and flow meters
- Install connectors, connector pins, terminals and lugs
- Perform continuity checks, locate and correct wiring errors using measuring instruments such as ohmmeters and sequential continuity checkers
- Adjust, calibrate, align, and modify circuitry and components and record effects on unit performance
- Read and interpret planning documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, drawings, manuals, blueprints and engineering sketches
- Perform lay out and wiring of electrical panels
- Collaborate with design engineers to troubleshoot failures and issues derived from test data
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Associate degree in instrumentation, control technology, electrical systems, or other electrical field
- Experience working with instrumentation such as: pressure transducers, thermocouples, valves, flow meters, multimeters or oscilloscopes (experience from school counts)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working with any of the following instrumentation: resistance temperature devices (RTDs), silicon diode temperature devices, strain gauges, load cells, displacement transducers, pressure transducers, thermocouple, and flow meters (turbine, coriolis, and ultrasonic)
- Basic knowledge of Wheatstone bridge theory, ability to apply ohms law, and an understanding of DC electronics
- Operational knowledge of an oscilloscope and multi-meter, soldering wires and connectors, operation of various crimping tools, wire stripping, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing and tie wrapping cables, drilling and tapping holes, and building junction boxes
- System level trouble-shooting skills and the ability to logically solve instrumentation system problems and determine corrective action
- Experience with Variable Frequency Drives and motor starters and knowledge in troubleshooting
- Knowledge in signal conditioning concepts for various types of sensors, to include the following: thermocouple Types K, S, and E; TC bonding concepts: resistance weld on and adhesive bond on types; TC probes through thermowell sheaths; cold junction compensation concepts
- Background should include experience with the following devices: DC power supplies, DC-DC convertors, UPS installations, heat shrink tubing, cable harnessing, lacing, and proper strain relief concepts
- Working knowledge of transducers, operational amplifiers, and the knowledge of measurement techniques for temperature, pressure, flow, displacement, vibration and the application strain gauges are also highly desired. Ability to identify required data, data acquisition plans and test parameters, setting up equipment to conform to these specifications
- Working knowledge multiple bus architectures (PCI/PCIe, PXI/PXIe, GPIB, Serial, USB, etc.) and data communication technologies
- Demonstrated capabilities in the development of comprehensive project plans that include all tasks; stage/gate milestones, and reviews necessary to successfully develop and implement solutions
- Intermediate skill level using Windows Operating Systems
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote)
- Knowledge in data acquisition concepts, hardware, and interfacing (SCXI and PXI based)
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position, up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Schedule varies depending on site operational needs; some travel required
- Valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Instrumentation & Control Systems Technician/Level 1: $21.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.