At Interstellar Lab our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. We believe in a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with nature, a future where biodiversity thrives and expands, a future where terrestrial life become multi-planetary.
To build this future, we design, manufacture and operate controlled-environment biofarms that unleash the power of plants. On Earth and in Space. Our solutions combine Hardware, AI and Bioscience. We use controlled-environment technology to mimic a multitude of conditions to allow plants, fungi and microorganisms to grow faster and better.
On Earth, we are pioneering biofarming at scale, boosting production of bioactive compounds and providing a sustainable and safe source of plant materials. In Space, we provide farming units to grow efficiently food for astronaut while accelerating plant research in microgravity.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
As a Payload Design Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to work on various vehicle space exploration payload design with a cross functional team of engineers from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
As Payload Design Engineer will be participating/leading product development and responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance for all mechanical systems supporting the production and operations of Interstellar Lab space payloads.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze, create and maintain payloads systems designs, define and improve processes, and develop product validation techniques in order to ultimately build a state-of-the-art and fully mechanical system capable of safely and reliably meeting required performances and allowing for user operations. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the products as it goes from the integration phase through operations. Our fundamental goal is to allow life to grow anywhere; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of plants materials and users in charge of growing them.
- Support the development of various vehicle space exploration payloads (such as for the International Space Station, specific satellite programs and other space vehicles).
- Support new designs from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
- Provide Technical Leadership for Design Projects.
- Establish design development and space flight certification/validation approach and concept for a given program considering requirements, schedule, cost etc.
- Work with and integrate various engineering development leads to guide development process.
- Inspire and lead technical innovation amongst design engineers as pertains to design tools and practices.
- Provide quick technical and administrative response to projects, removing roadblocks to ensure project success and customer satisfaction.
- Lead team in anomaly resolution, fault tree development, troubleshooting, and implementation of technical solutions.
- Identify, champion, and utilize subject matter experts to resolve technical challenges for applicable projects.
- Work with engineers to provide hands-on approach in the hardware design, build and test/verification process.
- Conduct design reviews to monitor technical correctness, design project health, and progress.
- Demonstrate ability to implement a wide range of technical approaches for the associated design discipline.
- Manage the technical aspects of electrical design, mechanical design, software/firmware development, thermal analysis, materials analysis, structural analysis, and other monitorial aspects related to space payload system design.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Provide rough orders of magnitude (ROM's) and basis of estimates (BOE's) for project and tasks.
- Produce other required design documentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering and normally possess minimum of 5+ years of related experience.
- Must have knowledge and experience in developing/designing, testing and certifying payloads for space exploration.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, NASA space-flight hardware.
- Familiarity with mechanical systems such as mechanisms, hydraulics, pneumatics, motors, structural design, electronics packaging, and cabling.
- Must have technical leadership and design team integration experience managing technical schedules, earned value and other monitorial aspects related to mechanical design and drafting on projects.
- Must have familiarity with 3D solid modeling CAD software.
- Prior experience in design and test of analog instrumentation systems.
- Prior experience with cable design for space applications.
- Project based experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting power distribution electronics, battery systems, and other electrical hardware (requirements definition, system modeling and simulation; circuit analysis; PCB design, fabrication, and assembly; harness design and fabrication; requirements verification).
- A successful track record of fielding custom electrical systems in an operational setting.
- Must have working experience leading and integrating mid-size (10 or more engineers) and large projects (30 or more) of various engineering disciplines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.