SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS QUALITY SUPERVISOR
SpaceX is seeking an organized, creative, and driven supervisor to spearhead the quality assurance of avionics electromechanical assemblies. As an Avionics Quality Supervisor, you will directly manage a large group of inspectors while working closely with cross functional teams to achieve the common goal of safely manufacturing quality parts, in the most efficient methods possible, to allow for a reliable and timely integration of launch vehicles and spacecrafts needed to fulfill our extensive manifest.
- Lead a team of quality inspectors and be accountable for their performance and goals
- Supervise completion of avionics quality assurance activities using SpaceX processes and systems in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Implement training and certifications as-needed to maintain a highly skilled, flexible, and capable work force
- Effectively manage, coach, and mentor technicians, including writing bi-annual reviews and managing corrective or disciplinary actions
- Enforce area standards and run rules, prioritizing safety and quality
- Lead Root Cause Corrective Action process; root cause analysis, product containment, and recommend and support the implementation of corrective actions that are necessary to reduce or eliminate recurring non-conformances
- Own the critical characteristic control within the production process, including the establishment of necessary inspection equipment/layout requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or 3+ years of experience working in the aviation, aerospace or automotive industry in a technical or hands-on capacity
- 1+ years of experience leading a team, project, or people
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of experience with one of the following:
- Inspecting solder, crimping, conformal coating, staking, and surface mounted devices accordance with NASA 8739 and/or IPC-J-STD-001, IPC-A-610 standards
- Wire harness experience in accordance with NASA-STD-8739.3 and 8739.4 and/or IPC-A-620 standards
- Previous leadership experience in a technical field with 6+ direct reports
- Practical experience with Quality Management Systems standards (AS9100 and ISO 9001) and Lean Manufacturing
- Experience with applying PFMEA / FMECA methods and statistical process control
- Strong knowledge in visual inspection of PCBs, PCBAs, and electronic assemblies including inspection of soldered SMT connections, conformal coating, staking, hardware, mechanical, etc.
- Knowledge of environmental electronics testing (thermal, TVAC, vibe, and shock)
- ASQ Certifications (CQM, CQE)
- Strong computer and analytical skills including proficiency in spreadsheets, databases, shop floor management software (ERP/MRP) and related programs
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment with flight quality hardware
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. unassisted
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed. Up to 10% travel
- Must be able to distinguish colors
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Quality Supervisor: $105,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.