ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. ("Firefly") is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operations of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly�s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly�s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. Firefly is headquartered in Cedar Park, TX.
Firefly Fluid Engineers within the launch group will leverage their creative background and expertise to help develop innovative solutions for the application of space systems technology. As an Engineer responsible for launch site ground systems, you will work in small collaborative groups through all stages of the fluid system design, installation, maintenance and operation. This includes recommending upgrades, preliminary and detailed design, sizing, and installation support. You will have ownership of one or more of the following systems: Liquid Oxygen, RP-1 Kerosene, Helium, Water, Nitrogen, Hydraulics and environmental control systems (HVAC), and other systems as required.
- Design ground fluid systems to include developing P&IDs, sizing calculations including cryogenic, compressible, and incompressible flow, component and instrumentation specification and selection
- Manage the fabrication, installation, checkout and operation of these systems
- Coordinate with and perform work according to policy, procedures and specifications established by the Ground Support Equipment design team
- Maintain a high level of understanding of relevant requirements, engineering codes and piping standards including launch range requirements and ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, ANSI and API standards.
- Participate in and lead internal design reviews, and operations readiness reviews, as well as represent Firefly during external design reviews.
- Perform activation testing of your systems to include: determining test objectives, test requirements, detailed procedure writing with a focus on safety, executing test plans and procedures, and working with other teams as necessary.
- Support the technician team by providing documented work instructions and as designed and as-built drawings/P&IDs.
- Maintain and upgrade fluid systems as necessary, including crafting preventative maintenance plans for all equipment.
- Troubleshoot fluid systems for any identified nonconformances, using the company�s nonconformance reporting system to engineering instructions, i.e. dispositions and work steps.
- Support launch console operations or support launch day red team.
- Travel to test site and other launch sites, as required, to support the overall program.
- Bachelors� degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of recent experience in a professional setting outside the classroom with fluid systems, pneumatics, hydraulics or HVAC systems in a design, assembly, test or operations capacity
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high pressure, fast paced environment
- Ability to self-motivate and take the initiative to ensure your systems are functional and operating at peak performance
- Demonstrated ability to work within multidisciplinary product development teams.
- Master�s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of experience with aerospace, oil and gas or other fluid system design.
- Knowledge of process design including process flow diagrams, P&IDs, drawings, sizing, layout, and equipment specifications
- Experience with creation of piping/tubing assemblies in CAD (NX/Teamcenter preferred).
- Ability to perform computations for fluid systems (e.g., pressure drop, valve timing, etc.) for liquids, cryogenics, and gases.
- Working knowledge of industry standards applicable to fluid systems such as ASME, AWS, as well as federal regulations including CFR, ANSI and OSHA.
- 1+ years of recent experience in a professional setting outside the classroom with fluid systems, pneumatics, hydraulics or HVAC systems in a design, assembly, test or operations capacity.
- Working knowledge of AFSPCMAN 91-710 Range Safety User Requirements for ground fluid systems.
- Familiarity with instrumentation, data acquisition, and control methods.
- Cryogenic design and/or operational experience.
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.