The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
Ursa Major’s team moves fast and does a lot with little. We are looking for a skilled, fast learning individual who can contribute to our test team. As a Test Operator you will be responsible for running engine testing operations. This includes conducting hot fire engine tests, participating in data review, and leading troubleshooting efforts related to engine test.
This role will report into the Test Operations organization of Ursa Major.
- Perform rocket engine testing from the control room (console) and from the field
- Maintain facility readiness with planned maintenance to minimize facility downtime
- Review and analyze facility data from engine tests to verify proper test execution
- Execute engine installs, removals, and facility system builds
- Perform facility and engine checkouts to verify proper functionality
- Understanding the “why” behind the operations and maintenance of a rocket engine test stand
- Participate in system design reviews, integration, and test campaigns by understanding facility capabilities
- Safe operation of systems and ability to quickly react to anomalies to return the facility to a safe state
- Develop and apply a high level of knowledge regarding the interaction between systems on a complex fluid mechanical system
- Generate and update procedures
- Troubleshoot and maintain instrumentation and hardware systems including pressure transducers, thermocouples, valves, regulators, etc.
- Working knowledge of and hands-on experience with fluid, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Experience in operating systems to transfer propellants
- Experience with hazardous operations and system safety
- Familiarity with data acquisition and controls systems
- Strong motivation and drive towards personal and process improvement
- Knowledge of hand and power tool operations to assist in system builds
- Ability to implement and execute plans while managing ambiguity
- Ability to excel in a high-pace, small team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Desire to take ownership and help wherever needed on the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- Journeyman mechanic with operations experience
- 2+ years of experience operating cryogenic or fuel system
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D, and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport, and Pet Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $80,000 - $100,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
NOTE: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage anyone who believes they have the skills and the drive necessary to succeed here to apply for this role.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
No outside recruiters, please.