Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
The Antenna Engineer will contribute to the hardware design, modelling, testing and evaluation of satellite communication and payload antennas.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Capture mission requirements and translate them to antenna specifications.
- Design, simulate and characterise antennas from VHF to Ka-Band.
- Perform installed antenna modelling for a variety of different satellite configurations.
- Lead the verification process for testing new and existing systems.
- Develop systems documentation, test plans, production and operational procedures.
- Analyse 3D antenna measurement data to verify the performance against both mission requirements and electromagnetic simulations.
- Provide technical support to the mechanical engineering, payloads, operations, and manufacturing teams.
- BSc, MSc or Ph.D. degree in Physics, Telecommunications, Microwave Engineering or any other relevant engineering degrees.
- Proven experience in design, development, and testing of antennas and microwave components.
- Solid knowledge of antenna design techniques and technologies.
- Proficiency in one or more industry-standard 3D electromagnetic simulation packages; such as CST Microwave Studio or HFSS.
- Hands-on experience performing S-parameter measurements using a VNA.
- Knowledge of antenna pattern characterisation and measurement techniques.
- A good understanding of the product development cycle and design for manufacturing requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with team members and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Knowledge of advanced multilayer antenna and PCB fabrication techniques.
- Experience in designing antennas for the space industry.
- Experience in active antenna design.
- Experience in PCB layout design using Altium Designer.
- Experience in transceiver design.
- Experience in RF chain analysis.
- Knowledge of RF system design.
- Hands on experience performing RF Measurements such as Noise Figure.
- Knowledge of satellite link budget calculations.
- Experience with characterising antennas using near field antenna measurements.