OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Axiom Space was chosen by NASA to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Materials & Process Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Materials & Process Engineer who will work in a collaborative engineering team environment who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Space Suit team with the design and development of structural and mechanical components of the space suits.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform trade studies for technical solutions, including make/buy recommendations
- Advise, guide, and provide consultation on Materials & Processes requirements for intravehicular (IVA) and extravehicular (EVA) environments, including materials selection, process control and qualification, design for corrosion prevention, and processes specification
- Provide input to program/project specifications and ensure appropriate materials requirements are incorporated into all program/project specifications at the right level
- Review project/program documentation and specifications to ensure NASA standards are met regarding Materials and Processes used in in spaceflight hardware
- Assess whether standard vendor processes meet M&P requirements, and if not, clearly define changes that need to be implemented
- Provide vendors with recommendations for qualification and acceptance testing that will properly satisfy verification of requirements
- Be familiar with metallic and nonmetallic materials specifications, properties, testing
- Provide inspection and manufacturing process support for human space flight systems
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- S in Engineering, Math, or Science
- 10 + years of experience in material and process engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of NASA standards and material data requirements for spaceflight hardware
- Demonstrable mastery/success of materials and process engineering
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Apply for This Job