OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic In-Space Manufacturing Program Manager, Advanced Materials who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic In-Space Manufacturing Program Manager, Advanced Materials who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Director, In-Space Manufacturing & Research with providing Axiom customers with successful outcomes through execution of programs that leverage Axiom Station and the microgravity environment in Low Earth Orbit (LEO). The Program Manager will leverage a team of world-class engineers building the world’s first human rated commercial space station and employ defined strategies to deliver solutions to customers identified by business development teams. The ideal candidate will have experience in leading engineering and operations teams while communicating milestones and progress to leadership staff. This role has a particular emphasis on advanced materials in-space manufacturing applications. Some travel will be required.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing the cost and schedule for a portfolio of projects to deliver advanced materials applications for future in-space manufacturing on Axiom Station.
- Serve as customer advocate for translation of project requirements to internal engineering and operational teams for execution.
- Maintain expert-level knowledge about our products and our customers’ challenges and opportunities. You will be an expert on a designated portfolio of customers.
- Establish strong working relationships with Axiom Leadership Team and respective internal/external stakeholders.
- Lead efforts in understanding, managing and mitigating schedule, budget, and risk activities to confirm program milestone expectations and delivery schedules.
- Develop, define, and manage program level metrics across the organization for understanding program cost, schedule, and risk.
- Provide project management expertise and toolsets for the integration of various projects into defined programs.
- Help drive the overall architecture of solutions required to execute advanced materials payload systems on the Axiom Station and initial proof-of-concept studies on ISS as required.
- Serve as the point of contact for customers, represent Axiom at conferences, and design reviews
- Work with Axiom government affairs and strategic communications teams to develop marketing materials around programs and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- BS, MS or ME in Physical Science or Engineering disciplines; MS or ME preferred; PhD highly desired or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7+ years of experience in project management
- 3+ years of experience in program management
- Experience with overall project leadership and support (scope definition, task planning, authoring technical/management volumes
- Experience with advanced material application development and manufacturing process scale-up.
- Other duties as assigned
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Apply for This Job