The Advanced Development Program (ADP) business unit is Blue Origin’s dedicated team to developing new mission architectures. From space stations to lunar landers, ADP is the ambitious development ‘lab’ that develops and pushes the boundaries of space technologies.
A Responsible Engineer (RE) within ADP is an individual who will be responsible for one of the most critical Avionics roles at Blue Origin, and will offer the chance to leave their fingerprints on the history of human-spaceflight.
The RE for this role will be fully responsible for leading the development of the communications architecture of a next-generation spacecraft travelling between the Earth and other celestial bodies. In this role, as the RE, you will be responsible for the integrated design and product delivery of all communications hardware through selection of the best design solutions for system layouts, packaging, and component selection. At the same time, you will help adapt existing solutions within Blue Origin to assure the most streamlined development, based on existing capabilities.
You will represent the communications system in all cross-functional trades and impact studies for the given programs you are supporting. You will be expected to leverage system level thinking, use sound engineering principles, and lead change from concept development throughout the product validation and operations. As the Responsible Engineer, you will also be coordinating the team’s performance against budget, schedule, technical performance, and risk mitigation.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight.
- End-to-End ownership of the RF communications system design across the spacecraft development cycle
- Lead a team to perform architecture studies, concept development, ICD development, procurement, verification planning, vehicle integration, system build and checkout, and operations support
- Coordination with vehicle configuration, flight sciences, software, system safety, supplier management, fault tolerance analysis / schemes, telemetry downlink / uplink
- Support development of system requirements, flow down, and verification planning
- Manage the RF communications system development program (cost, schedule) through external vendor(s) products and/or internal hardware development
- Analyze and track key performance metrics for RF systems throughout the product lifecycle and continually assess new designs to optimize for manufacturability, quality, and cost
- Develop, execute, and document the system verification plan for flight and representative hardware at the system level and validate the as-built system prior to launch.
- Support the development and execution of ground and flight test operations
- B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, or related subject area
Direct experience with RF communications hardware development.
- Successful candidates in this role typically have 10+ years of related experience.
- Ability to develop/utilize software defined radios
- Proficiently using software tools such as Ansys, HFSS, MATLAB or Python.
Understand how to determine link-budgets based on previous reports
- Ability to interpret and apply high-level system requirements to practical design solutions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- 12+ years of professional experience in system level integration or testing of in-space electronic components
- Hands-on experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components.
- Knowledge of and experience in spaceflight computers and controllers, serial communication, and/or telemetry systems.
- Data validation experience, identifying system limitations and translating these to new requirements
- Identifying and selecting commercial off the shelf (COTS) vendors and understanding the integration efforts required to assure requirements are met
- Experience developing products from early trade studies through final design, manufacturing, and test.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Estimated salary wage (Colorado only): $77k- $129K
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays