Capella is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We’re leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of SAR satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella you’ll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. No prior space experience is needed—we’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
What we look for in this role
In this role, you will...
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close activities by running a disciplined close and reporting process, by coordinating activities, policies, reconciliations and analysis with teams across the accounting and finance organization to ensure an accurate and timely financial close
- Provide technical accounting expertise to ensure compliance with GAAP accounting standards and perform special technical assessments as needed
- Drive monthly close process including preparation of financial statements, consolidations, flux analytics and KPI metrics to support internal and external reporting needs
- Develop and execute deliverables, and manage the external auditors and other professional service providers as needed
- Evaluate and continually improve accounting procedures, processes, and systems to ensure standardized and efficient accounting operations, whilst also maintaining a robust control environment
- As a recognized expert in technical accounting, manage and maintain accounting policies, practices, and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance
- Manage cash reporting and treasury operations
- Support Controller and FP&A to deliver accurate and timely results in accordance with US GAAP, to management, the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders
- Lead the accounting team including hiring, mentoring, motivating, and providing clear vision and thought leadership on the growth trajectory of the accounting function
- Effectively build, lead, and manage a team, consisting of and leveraging world class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver on the objectives of the department and the Company
- Collaborate with the IT department to maintain sound system processes and controls, and ensure continual improvement for our accounting systems environment
What we are looking for
- Bachelor's degree and/or master’s in accounting or finance
- CPA license required
- Minimum 12+ years in a financial accounting role
- Minimum of 4+ years of Big 4 public accounting experience
- Current and in-depth knowledge of US GAAP is required
- Netsuite experience preferred, but generally comfortable adopting to new ERP environments
- Outstanding MS Excel skills
- Detailed oriented with a strong bias for action, ability to proactively dig into the details and resolve issues
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing an accounting team in a high growth startup environment, tech manufacturing experience is preferred
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401k plan
- Health Care, Dependent Care FSAs
- Commuter/Parking Flex Spending
- Flexible vacation policy
- In-office lunch program
- Dog friendly work environment (SF)
All team members at Capella Space must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to help ensure the safety our community.
The definition of fully vaccinated is subject to change (may include boosters).
Accommodation requests based on medical or religious reasons will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.