For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
MDA Geospatial Services is strengthening its Information Technology team in support of RADARSAT-2 (R2) and RADARSAT Constellation Mission (RCM) satellites operations and is seeking an experienced and versatile IT specialist to join our team in St. Hubert, QC.
MDA is seeking a bright and capable System Administrator to join our team of Information Technology (IT) professionals operating and maintaining the RADAR satellite missions Ground Systems. Your position in the IT operations team will leverage your skills honed over several years of active practice, your solid self-management skills, and the professional attitude required to work within large teams and across departments. You will be a member of the team, which maintains the posture of the various systems throughout their operational life cycle. The RCM is a multi-site system and comprises a wide range of information technologies, including many that are specifically related to cyber security. You will be participating in protecting a system that is important to Canada’s national security interest.
This position is located at the MDA Control Centre, Canadian Space Agency Headquarters, in St Hubert, PQ.
As a member of the MDA Satellite Operations team, your primary responsibilities will include the following, during the operational phase of the RCM and RADARSAT-2 mission:
- Operating the mechanisms used to define, monitor and control the baseline configurations of the system’s network and computing assets, the latter including a mix of Windows and Linux hosts of both the physical and virtual (VMware) variety.
- Executing / updating and sometimes creating the processes whereby changes, typically in the form of security patches, are thoroughly tested in a non-production environment and then applied, in accordance with a highly formalized Change Control process, to production elements, including operating systems, middleware and COTS applications.
- Operating the Salt-based configuration management infrastructure which plays a critical role in configuration management of Linux end systems and 3rd party Windows desktop applications.
- Operating the endpoint protection infrastructure that works to defend the RCM endpoints against malware and other forms of compromise.
- Responsibility for executing incident response activities, including investigation of incidents, and subsequent response to and recovery from the incidents.
- Participating in security testing exercises that involve the RCM system
- Participating in training of other members of the IT administration team with respect to security aspects.
- Managing Kubernetes and Docker clusters (Docker/Rancher)
- Supporting CI/CD pipelines for application development (Gitlab/Jenkins)
- Setting up monitoring and log aggregation for containerize application (ELK/Prometheus/Grafana)
- Ability to work both individually and in a team.
- A technical diploma in a computer-related discipline from an accredited institution OR equivalent work experience with a proven track record
- An aspiring career IT professional looking ahead to gain the knowledge and experience required to obtain a security-related certification (CISSP, SANS, etc.)
- At least 2-3 years of relevant IT System Administration experience
- High capacity for learning new technologies.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Candidate must be able to qualify for a Secret level clearance
- The position may require on call duty on a rotational basis
- Solid understanding of vSphere, Windows and Linux-based operating systems (RHEL, SuSE) including, in particular, the processes used to make and keep them secure.
- Knowledge and experience with monitoring software (Nagios, Zabbix, ELK, etc..)
- Knowledge and experience with security operations of IT systems that:
- Comprise many different network security zones interlinked with network security devices (firewalls, etc.)
- Comprise a mix of Windows and Linux (RHEL, SuSE) systems integrated into a common domain and configured according to the least privilege principle
- Support the operation of a diverse, highly distributed set of software applications, both well-known COTS & open source applications and custom applications
- Must be actively kept up to date with respect to security updates in order to maintain its security posture
- Knowledge and experience with solutions for automation of configuration management and IT operations (ideally Salt, otherwise similar such as Puppet or Ansible)
- Knowledge and experience with incident management (detection, response, recovery)
- Well versed in working in an environment requiring strict Change Control processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of application containerization and orchestration. (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of container monitoring and dashboarding (ELK, Prometheus, and Grafana)
Specific technical skills that would be considered an asset:
- Knowledge and experience with ManageEngine operations management tools.
- Familiarity with Salt
- Familiarity with WSUS
- Familiarity with JIRA and Confluence
- Familiarity with Subversion
- Familiarity with Cloud providers (AWS)
- Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the secret status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP)
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID