SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIATION PROJECT SPECIALIST (STARLINK)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to serve populations with little or no connectivity. We design, build, and launch the world's largest constellation of satellites, enabling us to operate a global internet network unbounded by traditional ground infrastructure limitations. In addition to direct-to-consumer service, Starlink is also developing high-speed internet for commercial and private aircraft.
This role is responsible for driving projects with the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). You will support engineering with the certification processes, milestones, and documentation needed to certify Starlink for flight and will work closely with design and manufacturing teams to ensure regulatory compliance throughout the hardware design cycle.
- Produce certification deliverables on a tight timeline that comply with FAA regulations for supplemental type certification applications (project specific certification plans, test plans, analysis & substantiation reports, conformity inspection plans, operational documents, airplane flight manual supplements)
- Support certification process improvements to reduce overhead and improve schedules for future certification applications
- Support multiple concurrent certification efforts and provide regular updates on schedule and deliverables within the team.
- Read, understand and become familiar with different FAA certification processes and how it integrates with SpaceX internal tools and processes
- Work with hardware owners to ensure regulatory compliance early in the design cycle
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Bachelor’s degree; or associate's degree and 2+ years of experience in the technical writing/certification/planning field; or 4+ years of experience in the technical writing/planning/certification field in lieu of a degree
- 2+ years of experience in mechanical/electrical product design, testing, or manufacturing, or process efforts (internship or extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience with FAA certification
- Experience with DO-160 environmental testing, aircraft ground testing, aircraft flight testing
- Previous ownership of an aerospace certification from application to FAA acceptance
- Demonstrated ability to produce documentation deliverables on a tight timeline
- Extremely strong proficiency with Microsoft Word as a tool to produce and manage large documents
- Experience generating schematics, diagrams, and data visualizations that clearly communicate design intent of systems, tests or analysis
- Hardware ownership for mechanical or electrical systems through entire lifecycle (design, qualification, manufacturing, and launch)
- Understanding of failure modes of complex mechanical and electrical systems
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.