Orbital Outpost X is an ambitious start up company developing a large Low Earth Orbit commercial space station. We envision a robotic intensive space station that is capable of hosting 100 personnel. The space station goal is to lead and growing the LEO market by hosting a broad range of on orbit manufacturing, science research and tourist services augmented with a strong robotic presence. This part of the project focuses on the numerous Space Robotic Systems used by the space station. We are also responsible for the development of free flying space robotic vehicles used to support Rendevzous Proximity Operations and Docking (RPOD) operations. We are searching for ideal candidates who are interested in pushing the boundaries of what is currently technically possible in LEO space and are able to think creatively to solve the challenges that will be needed to make a human populated space station a reality. The ideal candidate will not be discouraged by difficult and often ground breaking work.
- HDE – Electronic hardware design including microcontrollers, FPGA, sensor electronics, power electronics, radiation hardening, circuit card layout, test fixtures, space environment qualification
- RSDE – ROS, Kinematics, Vision processing, AI, RPO/RPOD, Simulation software, MCC display interface, Autonomous Fault Recovery
- Androgonyous interface and, test fixture mechanical design, robot components, electromechanical test planning, implementation and analysis, image renders
- Fluid properties, Fluid transfer systems, Thermal control, Test systems
- The role of Robotics Engineer will spend most of their time prototyping, desiging and testing robotic elements that will require the ability to transfer power, fluids, data, as well as receive and process
- Collaborates with fellow engineers, project managers to understand the requirements and scope of the robotics project.
- Drafts blueprints, sketches, or other documentation demonstrating proposed ideas and prototypes, modifying based on feedback and simulation results.
- Design, develop, constructs, configures, tests, and debugs robotic prototype systems.
- Ensures that robotic machines operate safely, dependably, and with precision; identifies and implements modifications.
- Provides technical support and troubleshooting services for robotic systems.
- Recommends, develops, and implements enhancements and improvements to increase production volume or precision in high-throughput operations.
- Writes and maintains documentation of development process, modifications, maintenance requirements, and other data.
- Assists with cost estimates and project calculations.
- Maintains knowledge of existing and developing technology and trends in robotics.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent mathematical ability.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Thorough understanding of electrical wiring and computer software engineering.
- Proficient with computer-aided drafting (CAD) software to create accurate drawings and schematics.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software to create reports and documentation.
A proven ability to pick up new programs is much more important than having specific programming languages covered.
- Embedded: microcontrollers, Arduino, RPI, FPGA, C, C++, Python, Bare metal, Linux
- Host computers: Python, C, C++, C#, .net, STK, MatLab, Windows, Linux
- Networks: Python, C, C++, .net, MatLab, STK,, Linux, Windows, Linux
Nice to Have:
- URDF (Universal Robot Descritption Format), ROS (Robot Operating System), HDLs (Hardware Description Languages)Arduino IDE, Pascal, C, C++,C#, .NET,
- Software and embedded firmware development, Network design, Autonomous Fault Recovery, Simulation software, MCC display interface
- Experience in prototyping, designing, and assmebling robotic parts for use in a space environment.
- Experience with avionic harness, wiring, communications.
- Fluid transfer systems
- Infrastructure, Torque Testing, Measurements
- Designed/assmebled/tested Ground Support Equipment (GSE)
- Mandatory: Demonstrated creative real world aerospace experience
- Desired: Bachelors (masters prefered) in Electrical E.; Mechanical E.; Spacecraft E.; Thermal E.; Computer Science, Software Engineer, Physics or similar.
- Knowledge in machine shop tools used for fabrication (lathe, mill, CNC, etc)
- CAD, Electrical and mechanical breadboarding
- Manufacturing and Finite element analysis (ANSYS, NX)
- Computer Programs: CAD, Python, Arduino, STK, MATLAB, Office
- Patents and IP
- Spanish is a plus