SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ANTENNA ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Starlink is SpaceX’s ambitious program to bring high quality internet to the globe by building a constellation of thousands of satellites in low earth orbit (LEO) which we launched on our Falcon 9 reusable rockets earlier this year. We are developing millions of devices for end users to link our customers to our satellites. SpaceX is looking for antenna engineers with experience in small antenna design, phased array and reflector antenna systems, and/or antenna test and design validation.
- Design of advanced antenna and feed systems in support of next generation products including phased array and reflector products
- Fabricate and characterize prototypes of antennas, feed systems and RF front ends
- Contribute to development of software and testing of digital beamforming systems to demonstrate full phased array functionality
- Provide phased array expertise to set specifications and debug problems covering satellite and consumer phased array products
- Contribute to various aspects of the integration of the antennas into spacecraft and other systems
- Analyze in-the-field operational RF performance data of units and investigate methods to improve performance and debug issues
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of research or development experience in the general areas of RF and antennas
- 3+ years of experience using one of the 3D EM simulation tools such as CST, HFSS, FEKO, SEMCAD, EMPro, TICRA or XFDTD
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering with some research/thesis work on RF or antennas
- 5+ years of experience with basic RF concepts such as impedance matching, linear and aperture antennas, smith chart, power handling metrics (IIP2, IMD), microwave network analysis, RF filter design
- 2+ years of programming experience in Python, C#, C++, or MATLAB
- Familiar with antenna measurement techniques and tools such as anechoic/reverb chambers, near field EM measurements
- Familiar with one of the mainstream RF circuit simulation tools: AWR, ADS, Genesys
- Familiar with antenna prototyping tools and techniques
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.