Join the mission to make Earth a sustainable home forever.
We see a future where space is the gateway to a more resilient and sustainable Earth. Outpost is the sustainable space company. Outpost is creating the world's first commercial reusable satellites that will come back to earth after mission completion and then get refurbished for the next mission, reducing future space debris and contributing to the long term sustainability of human life in space while making the cost of a satellite mission up to 80% cheaper and 100% cleaner.
We enable precision Earth Return of satellites and orbital payloads. We believe that our future in space must be built with sustainability at its core and that efficient, precise Earth Return is essential for the development of new industries in space and the improvement of life on Earth.
Outpost allows companies to iterate on technical developments in space and ensure mission success. If you believe that the advancement into space will create a better planet Earth for all living beings and have the background to support it, then we want to hear from you.
Who you are:
- You enjoy collaboration and are an effective communicator who has worked with electrical and mechanical engineering teams on mission-level and customer driven system needs and planning.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven atmosphere.
- Excited about making smarter, better, extremely low cost space systems.
- You enjoy contributing to hardware and software system architecture decisions.
- You work efficiently with electrical and mechanical engineering teams to ensure avionics size, weight, and power needs are in line with system-level constraints.
- You collaborate with software teams to ensure that software specifications are suitable for both hardware and software development.
- Rapid development of high reliability electronics for satellite systems.
- Drive system trades, requirements capture, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, PCB layout, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, manufacturing, and test.
- Create development and qualification testing campaigns and exercise designs to their limits.
- Support hardware through production, integration, and flight.
- Support embedded systems firmware/software development.
- Work with experts from other areas to drive changes that make the systems more efficient, more manufacturable, and more reliable. Challenge assumptions and requirements.
- Assist with systems engineering-based requirements definition and verification with a diverse group of software and hardware-based test teams, in a lab environment and to support flight testing.
- Communicate and assist with hardware-in-the-loop (HWIL) tests on system test needs and interfaces to support production of a HWIL simulated flight environment.
- Coordinate with vendors of avionics products, both software and hardware, to ensure products are delivered within expectations.
- Work on the Outpost Satellite Team reporting to the Spacecraft Systems Lead.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, aerospace, or related field.
- 2+ years of experience designing and building electrical hardware.
- Preferred familiarity with C/C++ Python and Linux environments and embedded systems.
- Experience with circuit board layout, including for switching power converters or high speed digital communication circuits (Altium Designer)
- Working knowledge of electronic test equipment
- Hands-on experience with board level bring-up, testing and debugging.
- Experience with systems engineering-based requirements definition, verification and validation.
- Experience soldering
- Experience defining software and hardware architecture and interfaces
- Be located in (or willing to relocate to) Santa Monica, CA.
You must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 , or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State