Who you are:
- You enjoy team collaboration and are an effective communicator who understands the interactions between payloads and spacecraft subsystems.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven atmosphere.
- You have hands-on experience with mechanism design, prototyping, and/or precision mechanical assembly
- You are familiar with developing test plans and executing verification.
- Develop, integrate and document structural, interior (and exterior) payload systems and requirements to establish the system design
- Develop state-of-the-art, manufacturable flow control devices (valves, regulators, solenoids) and mechanisms for inflatable payload system
- Optimize, implement and testing of inflatable re-entry system technology
- Monitor development of the system level payload concept and the resulting overall payload design and architecture
- Design, build and test all mechanical structures required for the payload subsystems.
- Apply mechanical knowledge to drive payload communication system trades and component development.
- Guide hardware from prototype manufacturing through flight production, including ongoing support for spacecraft assembly, integration and test
- Support with analysis for contracts and proposals
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace, electrical engineering, mathematics, physics, computer engineering, computer science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience designing, analyzing and building mechanical systems
- Mechanical design experience using CAD (Fusion 360 or similar), hand calculations and FEA tools
- Experience using test instrumentation and control components (e.g. pressure transducers, thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors, relays, solenoid valves, etc.)
- Knowledge of electro-mechanical devices, gear trains, actuators, motors, valves, regulators, or other fluid and position control devices
- Experience in system level thermal analysis (Thermal Desktop or similar)
- Be located in (or willing to relocate to) Santa Monica, CA
You must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 , or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State