Please review the job details below.
Maxar is looking for a Sr. Systems Engineer/Technical Lead to join our team in Palo Alto, CA to lead the department’s technical initiatives to prepare for upcoming space missions.
This department is responsible for managing space mission planning, preparation, and execution of launch and vehicle initialization to completion. In this exciting role, you will assist the manager in administering a team of sharp engineers that successfully fly and test spacecraft for a variety of missions, to include communications, exploratory, and government programs. Additionally, you will support operations and maintenance of the Mission Control Center (MCC) and In-Orbit Test Labs.
- Manage the IT Security program for the MCC Information System; monitor the security status of the MCC Information System, recommend changes to controls, work with manager to fund and implement changes.
- Manage department technical objectives; work with Manager to implement all technical improvements to MCC, recommend new technical objectives, track and report status and progress.
- Support Training; Manage Positional Training Guides, incorporate lessons learned into guides where appropriate, recommend trainers to Manager
- Support Mission Planning; Attend CONOPS meetings, assist MDs in gathering operations requirements from contract documentation.
- Support Mission Preparation & Execution; Support team leads, work with Mission Directors to resolve and close Incident Reports, capture and manage lessons learned.
- Process Changes & Documentation; Manage Work Instruction and Walk Though updates, process communication and roll-out, track and report progress.
What we look for in a Leader
As a technical leader, it should go without saying that honesty, integrity, loyalty, and courage are expected qualities. For this role, we are also looking for:
- Excellent Communication Skills – You will be managing professional engineers that at times require very specific, clear direction and rationale. Additionally, you will be interfacing with every customer in a professional environment several times during a mission.
- Team Engagement – Leading with empathy and strength when required. You will be managing very capable, smart people who require direction, praise, and a vision that focuses not only on business strategies, but the care and inclusion of the team.
- Personal Grit – Able to recognize critical priority shifts, act professionally in challenging situations, and believe in your team to make the necessary adjustments.
- Builder of an Effective Culture – Ability to identify best fit personnel and shape an environment for applying skills, perspectives, and optimism toward achieving objectives.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieves goals regardless of challenges.
- Self-starter - someone who will grab hold of an issue and work the solution through to completion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- BS degree in Engineering and/or Information Systems discipline. Four years of additional experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 10 years of related experience.
- Understanding of spacecraft mission profiles, ground system operations, information security, mission operations, and support requirements.
- MS degree
- 5 years of experience in a leadership role/directly leading personnel
- Experience as an Information System Security Officer or System Owner
Maxar employees must follow all applicable Maxar policies and COVID-19 requirements as well as those of Maxar customers and third parties. Individual job requirements may vary, and Maxar reserves the right to modify its policies and requirements as it deems appropriate in accordance with applicable law.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.