OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Instrumentation & Controls Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Crew Systems Instrumentation and Controls Engineer who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Crew Systems Team with Hardware and Test Support Equipment design and LabVIEW test support. We are looking for an individual who is motivated, passionate about space, and excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Selecting components and creating wiring diagrams for various instrumentation including pumps, blowers, chiller carts, heaters, proportionally controlled valves, solenoid valves, pressure transducers, thermocouples, RTD’s, flowmeters
• Selecting, configuring, and installing VFD drives for AC motor control preferred
• Selecting, configuring, and installing brushless DC motor controllers preferred
• Developing, designing, and building electrical break-out boxes and cable harnessing for the Crew Systems test systems preferred
• Developing, designing, and wiring the power distribution (24 VDC, 120-460 VAC) for the Crew Systems hardware, including E-stop and circuit breakers preferred
• Selecting power supplies and proper wire gauges
• Designing wiring diagrams for various signal types including 4-20mA, 0-5 VDC, 0-10 VDC, RS-485, RS-232, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, TTL, Discrete Input, Discrete Output preferred
• Selecting data acquisition hardware, particularly National Instruments cRIO and C-Series cards.
• Programming the NI cRIO real time/FPGA code using LabVIEW to test various systems for the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (CREW SYSTEMS) and other engineering teams as needed
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• BS Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering, or related field required
• Experience designing and building data acquisition systems, including AC and DC power distribution and control boxes, transducer wiring, and instrumentation
• LabVIEW programing with training certification preferred
• Experience with CRIO controller and C Series NI hardware
• Experience with LabVIEW RT and LabVIEW FPGA
• Experience with advanced architectures, communication methods, and instrumentation protocols such as Modbus, RS-232, RS-485, GPIB, and LAN preferred
• Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.