ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race. At Firefly, we are focused on the leading edge of space systems progression. Our company is committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles and spacecraft. To get there, we are looking for incredibly passionate, bright, and determined people to join our team.
Firefly Avionics Mechanical Engineers leverage creative design methodology and experience to develop electronics enclosures and test equipment for launch vehicles and spacecraft. Qualified candidates will be responsible for design, analysis, hands-on build/integration, and support of environmental testing of electronics packaging solutions. You will be part of the avionics team and will work closely and collaborate with all other teams across the company. Some responsibilities may include:
- Design electronics packaging solutions used in launch vehicle and spacecraft applications
- Participate in mechanical design, 3D modeling, creation of production drawings, and maintenance of design data
- Develop models for thermal, modal, and random vibration analyses of electro-mechanical assemblies in aerospace environments
- Determine tolerance stack-ups for electro-mechanical assemblies
- Design of test fixturing and ground support hardware for environmental testing
- Draft production part drawings, assembly drawings, and technical documentation including presentations and reports
- Support manufacturing team and interface with machine shops to ensure final designs can be produced in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Support the PCB design team to specify mounting strategies, mechanical keep out zones, fastener sizing and spacing, PCB copper weights, connector type and placement, and thermal interfaces to the PCB assembly.
- Bachelor�s degree Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience designing electro-mechanical assemblies (professional experience, internships, and significant student project experience qualifies)
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD), drafting, and finite element analysis (FEA) software
- CAD modeling and drafting experience (NX and Teamcenter preferred)
- Experience with FEA software (Ansys or SimCenter preferred)
- Experience with multi-layer PCB enclosure design
- Experience with various design features and calculations for mechanical packaging of electronics including vent analyses, EMI/EMC mitigation strategies, multi-component tolerance stack-up calculations, bolt load calculations, Steinberg PCB solder joint fatigue, etc.
- Understanding of basic subsystems of a launch vehicle and how avionics integrate within the vehicle and interface with instrumentation
- Experience designing for CNC machining to reduce time and cost
- Experience selecting appropriate materials and finishing processes
- Experience with environmental testing including thermal cycle, thermal vacuum, shock, and vibration
- Understanding and knowledge of GD&T
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- Passion for Firefly and desire to work together to achieve shared goals
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.