We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
This role makes you accountable for leading and/or contributing to the Tooling and Ground Support Equipment designs for in space projects of all types. In other words, you will help us build the equipment required to fabricate the hardware that will enable millions of people to live and work in space! This means designing, analyzing, fabricating, testing, and integrating tooling and ground support equipment. You will also represent your system(s) in cross-functional trades and impact studies for architectures, tests, and vehicles that you support. You should expect that this foundational part of our vision will require your excellent communication and teamwork.
We are looking for people of all skill levels. This position reports to the Design Engineering Section inside of the Advanced Development Programs business unit. Passion for our mission and vision is required. If you’re excited by providing near-term value, solving novel problems, learning about interesting topics, and completing challenging activities, please apply!
· End-to-End ownership of Tooling/GSE hardware for rapid development and manufacturing that support processing of various in-space hardware
· Coordinate directly with Assembly, Integration and Test team to understand build process and develop GSE to meet those requirements
· Create requirements, D-FMEA, design models, fabrication specifications, acceptance test procedures, and maintenance plans, for development of GSE internally and/or externally.
· Manage external design and fabrication partners through complete project lifecycle to ensure GSE is functionally correct and meets requirements set forth in specifications
· Coordinates with technical personnel to plan and support GSE maintenance activities to ensure equipment availability and operational safety
· Participate in manufacturing, operational, and program technical reviews to provide GSE input and considerations
· Create, present, and implement new fabrication techniques that clearly conveys design intent, requirements, and specifications
· B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, or related subject area.
· Strong engineering principles and experience in performing first level hand calculation.
· Engineering knowledge of structure and mechanism application behavior.
· Ability to drive design engineering projects from concept to completion with documentations.
· Proficiency in CAD programs (Creo Pro/E preferred) to produce solid modeling, assemblies, drawings, GD&T, and tolerance stack.
· Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
· Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Desired (but not required):
· Finite Element Analysis (ANSYS, STAAD, Hypermesh, and others), and hand calculations of structural and mechanical components.
· Preferred experience working on aerospace development programs, production lines, or field operations in both design and hands-on roles; experience on commercial development programs a plus
· Preferred experience with hands on fabrication, assembly, or maintenance operations
· Experience with revision control and data configuration in Windchill
· Experience with requirements management (DNG preferred)
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays