Please review the job details below.
Maxar is currently seeking an Engineering Operations Technical Director with broad engineering execution leadership experience to join our team. The Engineering Operations Group is a newly formed group focused on cross functional engineering excellence reporting to the Maxar Space Chief Engineer. This role reports to the Senior Director of Engineering Operations and is responsible for driving cross functional engineering improvement initiatives enabling successful, predictable program execution.
- This role will create and implement cross functional improvement strategies and initiatives that enable transition to a balanced matrix organization structure and are aligned with business needs. Targeted initiatives will focus on engineering tools & process, engineering professional development, and cross functional continuous improvement.
- The selected candidate will lead initiatives as assigned and have the opportunity to recommend new initiatives
- Examples of current initiatives include the following:
- Partner with the Sr. Director of Engineering Transformation to develop IPTL training and execution process training
- Work with finance, program management and engineering functional managers to drive adoption of new staffing management tools and lead development of a portfolio wide staffing process, meeting cadence, and communication expectations
- Partner with IT and other stakeholders to develop strategic action plans to meaningfully remove barriers to execution.
- Partner with engineering functional leaders and HR to develop first line manager performance and behavioral standards and training
- Initiative teams will be supported by cross functional engineering management team members ensuring broad representation of across engineering
- This role may also lead/support formal process document development and updates as assigned
- Strong communication and presentation skills and the ability to successfully bring together diverse teams made up of multiple engineering disciplines, IT, and HR will be critical in this role.
What we look for in a Leader:
Maxar Leaders demonstrate the following key leadership qualities at all times: Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Curiosity, and Courage. All leaders at Maxar align their actions with our Maxar leadership framework which is built on three factors: Personal Grit, Team Engagement, & Business Focus.
- Personal Grit: Recognizing situations when priorities shift and adjusting to maintain perspective. Acting as a role model in challenging situations, managing your own emotions, and believing in the capacity of all team members to learn and grow.
- Team Engagement: Leading with empathy and concern for others’ physical and mental health, and focusing on team member needs for inclusion, development, and growth.
- Business Focus: Maintaining a business focus, and continuing to honor our commitments to customers, partners, and employees with a view to the future
- Strategic decision making: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the program moving forward. Ability to make sound decisions in the presence of information ambiguity.
- Financial Acumen: Understands the financial aspects of decisions being made and uses that information in the decision-making process
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Builds effective teams: Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Drives for results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Courage: Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said, doing what needs to be done
- Ability to delegate while remaining accountable for outcomes
- Demonstrated attention to detail and follow-through
- Excellent cross-functional and multi-level collaboration, relational, coaching, and management skills; high-energy attitude
- Highly skilled in decomposing broad business objectives into executable plans
- Create and drive a culture of ownership, accountability, & crisp execution to goals.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent technical execution experience required
- A minimum of 12 years of engineering experience leading engineering execution in aerospace or defense domain supporting government customers
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in systems engineering, project engineering, program management or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience leading development projects that include both software and hardware
- Demonstrated experience leading schedule planning and managing teams to produce on-plan results
- Demonstrated experience leading change initiatives to completion and delivering results
- Strong team building skills; demonstrated ability to effectively mentor and train more junior personnel
- Proficiency in Jira, Slack, and MSOffice Suite include Teams, Project, and Visio
- Broad technical understanding of space domain
- Able to travel for periods of 2- 5 days on an occasional basis
- PMP certification
- Certified in organizational change management
- Experience with engineering execution metrics development and collection
- Experience with ISO and CMMI certification requirements
- Natural bias to and proficiency in creating and maintaining all standard program management artifacts. Can operate within standard program management framework. Exercises sound judgement and flexibility if business needs necessitate modifying that framework.
- Knowledge of commercial space and USG architectures, missions, systems, requirements, and acquisition methods required and be able to strategize unique solutions.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation, and executive communication skills with the ability to adjust communications as needed to enable effective communication with customers, executives, engineers, IT, Finance, and HR.
The compensation range for an Engineering Operations Technical Director in Colorado is $154,000- $256,000 annually, dependent on location, skills and experience.
Maxar employees must follow all applicable Maxar policies and COVID-19 requirements as well as those of Maxar customers and third parties. Individual job requirements may vary, and Maxar reserves the right to modify its policies and requirements as it deems appropriate in accordance with applicable law.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.