Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) is a private technology company that designs, develops and operates space camera systems. The Camera Systems Group (CSG) seeks an electronics engineer with experience architecting digital systems, implementing logic and software, and performing formal design verification. The Digital Electronics Engineer works alongside the Senior Digital Electronics Engineer to design and verify FPGA logic for cameras, digital image/video processing and storage systems, and electronic ground support equipment for earth-orbiting and interplanetary satellites, landers, rovers, and human spaceflight systems. The design team may also include a Lead Designer/Systems Engineer, Mechanical/Thermal Engineer, Software Engineer, and Electronics Hardware Design Engineer.
- Designs and verifies FPGA logic for communications, memory interface, timing, and image processing peripherals, written in VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL).
- Writes and executes test plans for requirements verification using simulation, bench testing, and thermal.
- Writes test benches and Bus Functional Models (BFMs) in VHDL.
- Integrates vendor-supplied VHDL and Verilog component models into test benches.
- Uses ModelSim simulation software to debug and verify module-level and top-level designs against internal and customer requirements.
- Uses code coverage features to evaluate simulation coverage and drives improvements to test benches and test cases.
- Designs and analyzes internal and external digital interfaces. Writes formal timing specifications for box-to-box digital interfaces.
- Writes implementation constraints for pin locations, I/O configuration, and timing.
- Completes logic builds (synthesis, mapping, placement, and routing) using FPGA vendor tools (Xilinx Vivado/ISE/EDK, MicroSemi Libero/SoC) and optimizes designs for timing, power, and area constraints.
- Produces power estimates for all digital loads in the system (i.e., FPGA, memory, image sensors, interface components) and determines power system requirements.
- Performs worst-case timing analysis for all digital interfaces (internal and external).
- Develops FPGA logic architecture, evaluating need for embedded soft processor(s) and appropriately partitioning software vs. logic functions, where applicable.
- Writes reports and presentations for design, validation, and analyses.
- Leads and/or participates in preliminary and critical design reviews
- Perform other duties as required which may become essential functions.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Familiarity with source code version control systems and best practices (such as Mercurial)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explain technical issues and ideas to peers, management, and customer representatives
Must be able to comprehend and communicate complex technical and engineering concepts. Must be able to remain in a stationary position while operating a computer for prolonged periods of time. Ability to work and move around in a cleanroom environment, wearing required outer garments including smock/coveralls, shoe covers, mask, hood and gloves. Moves in and around a lab space. Ability to handle high stress levels in connection with multiple conflicting priorities and deadlines. High tolerance for ambiguity and shifting expectations. Strong analytical and organizational skills with ability to prioritize workload.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
MSSS is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer