We are looking for Mechanical Engineers at all experience levels to join us on building the road to space
In this role you will be responsible for creating GSE/tooling concepts, performing detailed design, and managing procurement of major tooling, jigs, and fixtures that will be used to build, transport, and test spacecraft and launch vehicles. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment. You will support Tooling/GSE development of spacecraft and launch vehicles throughout the design phase and into low-rate initial production as part of the New Product Introduction (NPI) group.
Tasks will include conceptual design, cost/schedule estimating, requirements definition, detailed design, and procurement. You will work in a cross-functional team role with manufacturing engineering, facilities engineering, and project management functions.
- Identify critical GSE/Tooling required for the assembly, integration, and test of flight hardware
- Develop GSE/Tooling concepts, Concept of Operations (CONOPS), and determine how GSE/Tooling functions in a manufacturing environment
- Generate requirements and Interface Control Models (ICMs) for Tooling/GSE and the facility
- Perform analysis (Hand Calculations & FEA) to support tooling design
- Author Statement of Work (SOW) documents for GSE/Tooling and manage the technical side of external procurement contracts
- Perform detailed design and analysis of GSE/Tooling
- Coordinate directly with manufacturing, operations, and product development personnel to understand operational requirements and develop GSE to meet those requirements.
- Utilize CATIA V5 and Creo to design and modify tool designs
- Coordinate functional testing and first use of acquired GSE/Tooling
- Maintain ownership of the tool and be the technical point of contact throughout low-rate initial production
- Build and present user documentation that clearly conveys design intent and alignment with standards, requirements, and specifications.
- Passion for Blue Origin’s mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- B.S./B.A. degree in mechanical, structural, civil, or aerospace engineering
- Experience with Design for Manufacture/Integration principles
- Mechanical design experience using CAD (Creo/Windchill or CATIA preferred), hand calculations and FEA (ANSYS preferred) tools.
- Experience managing suppliers during design, procurement and build cycles of multi-million $ tooling and related components.
- Background in development, construction, and installation of complex structural and mechanical systems (e.g. launch vehicle GSE, aerospace tooling, oil/gas, movable structures, spacecraft mechanical systems, lifting fixtures, etc).
- Understanding of mechanical and structural systems analysis methods and failure modes.
- Broad experience in hardware manufacturing: assembly, integration, instrumentation, cleaning, non-destructive testing, leak testing, final acceptance testing of integrated hardware, fabrication, machining, etc.
- Experience with configuration management, requirements management processes, requirements change processes, risk management processes
- Experience in prioritizing hardware procurement and fabrication and communicating these priorities to the team
- Proven ability building trusting and effective working relationships that improve team performance and deliver results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong digital literacy (MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, and Agile Management tools such as Jira, Confluence or AirTable)
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Proven record in a wide variety of hardware fabrication including but not limited to: machining, welding, assembly, bonding/adhesives, composite fabrication, test support, critical lifts
- Hands on experience with building hardware
- Experience with FEA Analysis
- Experience across multiple portions of the product life cycle of spacecraft, launch-vehicle, or high-performance aircraft systems
- Experience with multiple CAD packages, CATIA, SolidWorks, etc.
- Familiarity with Industry Code Standards.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays