Director/Sr. Manager, Culture & Engagement
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
We are looking for a Director of Culture to help us build our high performing team and live our cultural values. The ideal candidate possesses the ability to lead the design and implementation of talent management programs that drive company values, increase employee engagement, and accelerate performance. This leader will act as a hands on strategic partner of culture, connection and change management. Executing on many projects and initiatives across multiple teams is an everyday requirement in this role. This role requires someone with strong organizational skills and able to operate in an agile and high-paced environment; streamlining processes to create efficiencies, build upon our DEI strategy, focus on innovating and differentiating the employee experience, and act as a “people first” leader for our team. This position is based in Herndon, VA with some remote flexibility and reports to the VP of People.
- Recommend, develop, and implement talent programs to promote a modern culture designed to maximize employee engagement, connectedness and retention in alignment with business imperatives
- Accelerate company and employee performance, recognition and career advancement through comprehensive learning plans and total rewards approach
- Focus on managerial effectiveness for business leaders through coaching, advisory support and technical HR knowledge sharing
- Work to build a positive reputation, work environment and culture, including return to the office / hybrid remote workplace of the future, that brings people together for collaboration and innovation
- Lead change management initiatives by educating the workforce
- Build and refine processes to develop and retain employees, coach high-potential employees, and design hiring and internal mobility plans
- Lead efforts within the organization to increase retention rates through employee career-pathing, offering coaching and development to help employees achieve their full potential
- Identify the right talent pools and best-fit candidates. Attracting them to the organization and then optimizing their existing skills and strengths while helping them grow and develop
- Partner and collaborate with other human resource leaders and business teams to develop, communicate, implement, and evaluate programs
- Design company programs and policies that reinforce diversity in the workplace
- Address all types of harassment and protect minority groups within the company
- Organize training to boost employees’ communication abilities and team spirit
- Liaise with other departments on their learning and training programs
- Train hiring managers and People Ops staff on how to select, manage, evaluate, and retain a diverse employee base
- Partner with People Ops leadership to recommend, research, and implement new approaches, policies, procedures and tools with a focus on scale
- Measure and forecast diversity metrics
- Act as a consultant to underrepresented groups and make sure all voices are heard.
- Address and resolve employee relations matters within the business by providing balanced counsel and advocacy for employees and the business
- Actively identify and quantify, through workforce planning and tracking, the staffing needs for our professional services team. Analyze talent gaps for the present and future goals for the organization and define the people requirements
- 12+ years of relevant business experience within progressive companies
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- Extensive business knowledge with comprehensive understanding of HR fundamentals
- Advanced leadership skills
- Experience supporting stakeholders at the VP level and a high level of comfort influencing and acting as a strategic thought partner for building talent strategy at scale
- Ability to build trusted relationships with people at all levels, across multiple departments and in all geographies
- Ability to use data and analytics to develop insights and guide decisions
- Excellent organization and time-management skills
- A sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company’s success
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated team player with a desire to seek out new experiences, knowledge, and candid feedback
- Openness to learning and change
- Technology industry experience
- Understanding of how diversity and inclusion contribute to a company's success, experience leading teams to achieve diversity recruiting goals and experience working with internal and external diversity partners
- Strong vendor relationship management
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdfhttps://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf