Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 19 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
Kepler is looking for an experienced Instrumentation Test Engineer who is passionate about developing test solutions and automating test instrumentation systems. This position requires collaboration with various engineering teams, participating in the hardware development phase managing hardware test requirements, developing test systems consisting of hardware, software and test data management. The successful applicant has a diverse background in instrumentation control, system integration, test automation covering Digital, FPGA, IF, RF and optical test systems.
- Accountable for the test architecture and infrastructure for space components, payloads, satellites, and ground support equipment test systems.
- Participate in the hardware engineering design reviews and provide design feedback and solutions to the design team.
- Develop test system requirements as well as system and equipment test specifications.
- Responsible to generate Test Plans, Test Procedures and Test Reports.
- Enhance, implement, and follow test processes, policies, and industry best practices.
- Support test equipment, test rack and environmental test system purchase decisions and return on investment justifications.
- Drive process improvements, test automation and DFT implementation during the hardware design phase.
- Test and commission satellite and ground support equipment test hardware for development and production testing.
- Perform tests, verify results and support device and test equipment failures.
- Accountable and manage RF, Antenna and communications link testing.
- Develop and manage RF test methodologies.
- Write basic software to control test equipment and support software test engineering on software validation.
- Collaborate with electrical, mechanical, manufacturing, system and software engineers.
- Great team player who enjoys technical challenges in a fast-paced environment, applies sound judgement in successful planning and execution, meets commitments and communicates effectively with all stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent.
- 7-10 years’ experience designing and implementing test systems.
- Industry knowledge of hardware and software test methodologies and standards
- 3-5 years’ experience in RF measurements using common RF test equipment
- Proficient in RF and wireless communications concepts (S-parameters, radio, antenna, modulation and coding).
- Strong understanding of Digital Signal Processing, FPGA and common interface protocols.
- 2 years’ experience designing test software, applying algorithms and analysis.
- Familiar with various programming languages (Visual Studio, Labview, VEE, C++, C#, Python, etc.) and software development management tools (Git, DevOps, etc.).
- Strong understanding of the equipment and systems required to interface and control test equipment.
- Previous experience in Space, Aerospace or High Technology Industry.
- Knowledge of test methodologies as per MIL-STD810/461 and Clean Room Environments as per AS14644.
- Implementation of fully automated test solutions.
- Experience using Raspberry Pi or similar platforms.
- Experience with Software Defined Radios.
- Experience with RF concepts, microwave components and RF Test Equipment (Vector and Phase Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, Noise Sources, Power Sensors, etc.).
- Experience with Environmental Test Methods (Thermal, T-Vac, Vibration, Near and Far-Field Antenna Testing, EMC).
- Exposure to Optical Metrology (MTF, SFR).
- Experience with computer networks and common interface protocols.
- Experience with FPGA, firmware and embedded code development.
- Familiar with Agile and DevOps principles.
- Design for Six Sigma and Measurement System Analysis.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.