OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Payloads Communication Systems Manager who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Communication Systems Manager who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Payloads Systems Engineering Team with establishing the ground-to-ground, ground-to-orbit and orbit-to-orbit communications infrastructure for customer payloads that will fly into space and be installed on Axiom station modules. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about customer service, interfacing between engineering and business development concerns, and is excited about the prospect of establishing the next generation communications system for new spaceflight hardware in the commercial space industry. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop, integrate, and operate customer user interface hardware for Axiom payload customers utilizing current and upcoming ground-to-ground, ground-to-orbit and orbit-to-orbit communications infrastructure.
• Gather information and cultivate knowledge of current designs and future trends in the communications architecture for payload system customers in the commercial space industry.
• Collaborate with multiple engineering disciplines related to spacecraft design and operations to include avionics, flight operations, life support, crew systems, facility engineering, and payload integration managers.
• Lead the integration of the Axiom Station payload systems communication capabilities via an interoperable network of partner satellite constellations and ground stations to provide data connectivity and control to payload customers via the Axiom mission control center.
• Work with Axiom vendors and business development unit to identify gaps in the communications system architecture and interfaces and refine the CONOPS based upon expected Axiom segment capabilities as needed.
• Provide technical expertise to analyze and implement communication vendor specifications, requirements, and design to ensure payload mission success.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems or directly related experience required
• 10 or more years supporting integration activities for human spaceflight and/or satellite communication systems
• Experience defining the space to ground interface requirements for spacecraft/satellite communications
• Experience leading a small team of engineers
• Previous experience with IP-based Networking in space
• Previous experience with test and integration of communications data links into new platforms
• Agile Training, Professional Certification, & Hands-On Implementation experience a plus
• ISS JSL experience a plus
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent comprehension skills with ability to quickly align solutions with client objectives
• Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
• Ability to work in a team environment
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.