SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ELECTRICAL DESIGN ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
We are developing the next generation electrical systems for our newest launch vehicles. Come join the team making our civilization multi-planetary!
- Rapidly develop high reliability electronics for rockets and spacecraft
- Drive system trades, requirements capture, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, manufacturing, and test
- Create development and qualification testing campaigns and exercise designs to their limits
- Support hardware through production, integration, and flight
- Work with experts from other teams and departments to drive changes that make the system more efficient, more manufacturable, and more reliable. Challenge assumptions and build strong professional relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 2+ years of experience designing, building, or testing circuit boards or other electronics (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Passion for spaceflight and curiosity for electronics in high-reliability applications
- Excitement for making systems smarter, better, faster, cheaper
- Experience making products or systems work with minimal time and resources
- Experience with developing fundamentally new hardware, not just incrementally updating legacy hardware
- Experience with circuit board layout, especially for switching power converters or high speed digital
- Experience designing switching power converters, power magnetics, analog control loops, solid state load switches, motor inverters, EMI/EMC compliance, or sensor signal conditioning circuits
- Experience with high voltage devices, lithium ion batteries, or power distribution optimization
- Experience with high performance digital processors, FPGAs, memory chips, or network switches
- Experience with circuit board design-for-manufacturability, productization of electronics
- Experience with automating hardware development functions (e.g. scripting to control benchtop equipment or to accelerate analysis or simulation)
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.