Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Finance team at Planet in Berlin is seeking an AP Accountant to become a part of a global Finance team. We are building and maintaining lean and scalable accounting processes and ensure Planet’s financial stability. You will work closely with other departments, with our various vendors and you will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks. This position will be part of Planet’s operational accounting with an opportunity to contribute to the growth of the business by finding corporate efficiencies and supporting the implementation of new systems and processes of the company. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, attentive and detail-oriented thinker, and a reliable colleague who sees challenges as opportunities. You have the ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Managing day-to-day accounting operations with the flexibility to work on multiple projects and deliverables including payroll accounting, accounts payable, employee expense reimbursement and asset management
- Supporting month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial close - prepare journal entries, balance sheet and income statement account reconciliations, also complex transactions of global entities
- Reviewing and analysing variances in the cash flow, profit and loss statement and balance sheet accounts
- Administrating of funded projects, project controlling and budgeting
- Assisting in Debtors- and Creditors Accounting (invoicing, bookkeeping, preparing statements, check cash flows, checking vendor invoices and preparing payments)
- Managing the whole travel expenses process
- Cooperating with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. sales department, auditors, financial authorities, banks and customers)
- Preparing ad-hoc reports and analysis as required by management
- Assisting in cash-flow forecasting and budgeting
- Act as backup for other team members in different areas of accounting and ad-hoc projects as needed
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other quantitative major or experience or commercial training (kaufmännische Ausbildung)
- 2-3 years of progressive experience, solid knowledge of accounting policies/procedures and financial statements (HGB)
- Fluent English and German skills
- Solid knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Excel
- Strong work ethic, capacity to get things done independently, and consistent performance with a sense of urgency and commitment, ability to prioritize, meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and data integrity
- Good verbal and written communication skills to interact internally and externally
- Based in Germany
What Makes You Stand Out:
- High level of resilience and agile approach to problem-solving
- Experience with Netsuite or equivalent ERP system
- Experience with Salesforce or equivalent CMS
- Experience in a high growth, rapidly changing work environment
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer RSUs for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.