We are Astra. Our mission is to launch a new generation of services to improve life on earth from space. We are a highly ambitious team with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge.
We strive to deliver routine access to earth orbit for enterprises launching services powered by small satellites. Building on over a decade of technology development in rocket propulsion, structures, and avionics, we are applying an agile approach to space launch.
Our headquarters in Alameda, between San Francisco and Oakland, is a sprawling campus supporting full cycle rocket production (e.g. design, manufacturing, test) and mission control. Come thrive at Astra!
Software is at the forefront of how we operate at Astra. As a vertically integrated rocket company, every decision we make is data driven: from CAD designs, to the launch of a rocket, we look for patterns and relationships at each stage of our design, manufacturing, test, and operations. This unprecedented level of integration requires an equally vertically integrated "operating system" that gives insight into topics that matter, guiding our decisions.
As a Sr. DevOps Engineer on the AstraOS team, you will join a team a small but growing team of scrappy software engineers that work in a cross-functional, collaborative and blame-free environment. On day 1, you will be hands-on designing, writing, testing, deploying, and running our full-stack software systems, with a focus on our CI /CD pipeline, developer infrastructure, cloud environments, and application architecture.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
· Learn: work with cross-functional teams to understand the end-to-end functionality and impact of our systems.
· Build: create world-class, web-scale systems that strikes a balance between perfect and done.
· Fail fast: embrace change and iteration over dogma and stagnation.
· Dream: think big in terms of what's possible to build a truly extraordinary software system.
· Up-level: continuously work to better yourself and peers --opportunity is boundless at Astra!
Why We Value You
· You possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate ideas, give technical feedback, and mentor other team members.
· You have exceptional problem solving, communication, and collaboration skills. Flexibility and enthusiasm for learning technologies, tools, and ideas.
· You are a good sounding board for others, with low ego
· You have strong CS chops (Java, JS, C++, Python, etc.) but are language / technology agnostic.
· You're highly interested in modern DevOps best-practices, software solutions, and architectures.
· You have an entrepreneurial spirit and truly enjoy and take ownership of your work.
· You are self-driven with an analytical mind with a bias for action.
· You undertake projects and tasks with an attention to detail coupled with a sense of urgency.
· 5+ years of building web-scale software systems
· Experience building full CI / CD pipelines
· In-depth knowledge of production-grade AWS (Gov-Cloud is a BIG plus)
· Experience with Python
· Experience with production-grade Docker and Kubernetes
· Experience with Helm, Terraform, Jenkins, GitLab, and / or other automation technologies
Salary and Benefits
We are competitive in compensation and offer equity as part of the package. We have really good benefits that include health, vision, dental, 401K in comparison to other startups. We offer lunch every day and there's plenty of snacks and drinks to get you through the day. We celebrate our accomplishments with quarterly off-sites and frequent happy hours.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
© Astra Space Inc. All rights reserved, Astra is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.