Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Manufacturing Engineer, Principal (Propulsion)
The ideal candidate will:
- Have expert capability to execute projects for product, process and equipment manufacturing improvements including the design, build, commissioning and production hand-off
- Have expert knowledge in manufacturing processes for aerospace materials including but not limited to TIG, EB and laser welding, heat treating, metal forming, additive manufacturing, CNC machining and precision cleaning.
- Have performed root cause and corrective action projects and PFMEA / DFMEA of complex manufacturing processes and products
- Have a successful track record coaching and mentoring less experienced and younger engineers
Key Responsibilities Include
Design for Manufacture:
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacture, design for test, productivity, supplier capability assessments, quality control, etc.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions as related to both Rutherford and Archimedes engines.
Process, Tooling & Equipment:
- Provide Engineering support for day-to-day production processes
- Complete analysis and identify improvements for production safety, quality, delivery and cost
- Develop production processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented, including testing procedures, health and safety requirements and supervisor sign-offs.
- Design, develop, and implement tooling and equipment for use in a production environment where appropriate to improve quality, delivery and/or cost performance
- When required, lead problem containment and structured root cause & corrective action investigations
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances
- Interface with the quality team to resolve manufacturing engineering quality responsibilities
- Liaise between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume requirements including preparation of business cases
- Lead the continuous improvement process in your area using lean tools and techniques such as 5S
- Introduce automation where appropriate and ensure equipment data links directly to MRP and quality systems
- Identify risks and improvements to develop the manufacturing engineering department to meet company needs
- Develop and mentor less experienced engineers and technicians daily
Required Experience & Education
- 4-year engineering degree (Preferably, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace)
- 10+ years’ of experience in a manufacturing environment.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status