Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Impact you’ll own
- Dive deep into our data, own and handle multiple data initiatives and projects to deliver Trusted Business Operations metrics in day-to-day operations
- Responsible for timely and accurate preparation of management reporting, including presentations, and for financial analysis on an ongoing and an ad-hoc basis
- Work closely with the finance, sales, customer success, and product team for aligning insights and connectivity amongst teams for expedited and accurate decision making
- Reporting and analysis to monitor contract execution to improve revenue predictability, revenue recognition and enable more proactive customer service actions
What you bring
- Strong business acumen - ability to interface with stakeholders from different divisions of the company, understand business requirements and formulate the right questions to be asked of the data.
- Profund data literacy and advanced SQL knowledge
- Strong quantitative skills - ability to develop analytical methodologies for large datasets and synthesize findings into digestible visualizations
- Strong communication skills - ability to summarize and share results with stakeholders and senior leaders
- The ability to translate business questions into data analysis requirements and work with the Data Engineering team to make data accessible to internal stakeholders
- Basic understanding of financial controlling and accounting principles
- Expertise with charting and data visualization techniques
- Ability to maneuver and work in a constantly changing environment and among different management levels of a global organization
- A collaborative spirit and proactive can-do attitude
- Solid understanding of business operations, sales cycle/ process and BI tools such as Looker or Tableau
What makes you stand out
- Experience working with BigQuery and the broader with GCP stack
- You love to roll up your sleeves and create a dashboard or a data visualization to understand a specific issue as much as preparing a strategy paper
- Experience working with customer facing teams
- Knowledge of programming languages like Python or R
- Experience working with dbt or other data modeling frameworks
- Familiarity with start-up environment on the verge of going public
- You are an ambassador for data driven, fact-based decision making
- Experience working with Salesforce and Netsuite
- Predictive modeling
- Experience with financial and/or sales analysis of products (i.e. modelling, pricing, costing)
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer RSUs for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.