OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven Assembly Integration and Test team is seeking a bold and dynamic AI&T Test Lead who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic AI&T Test Lead. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and managing Axiom’s space flight hardware testing capabilities. This professional will work closely with all engineering disciplines to understand and satisfy their testing needs. This person will be responsible for developing and efficiently applying testing procedures, facilities, and resources in a fast-growing company.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• The AI&T Test Lead will have ownership of all the testing components/aspects, develop the overall. strategy for AI&T’s role in testing and manage the day-to-day activities for at Axiom Space’s respective test labs.
• Inform the development of Axiom Space’s testing facilities.
• Serve as AI&T liaison with SE&I and V&V to properly allocate responsibilities and develop mutually beneficial/efficient/accurate methods for managing testing resources.
• Coordinate with SME customers in developing test plans, running test facilities/operations, and ensuring the effective and accurate capture of test data.
• Assist in preparation of comprehensive documentation.
• Become familiar with how test software tools and other testing-related resources will be applied to the best advantage as the company grows.
• Recruit, onboard, and coach new AI&T Test team members.
• Collaborate with fellow AI&T team members on the integration of flight and non-flight hardware including spacecraft components, subsystems, and spacecraft propulsion systems as pertinent for test
• Review the I&T program against mission schedule and system specifications
• Define the strategy for safety of personnel, equipment, and hardware during testing
• Assist in the creation of a plan for Integration or Testing experience in a class cleanroom environment (e.g., a 100K / ISO8)
• Work in a collaborative environment to design, analyze, build and test MGSE and tooling for a project.
• Manage and control test budget and capacity
• Coordinate and supervise the development of procedures for the testing, usage, and set-up of test enabling hardware designed for project.
• Lead the selection of test equipment and manage their maintenance
• Update Axiom Space’s leadership team on overall test status
• Travel to company/3rd party/vendor test locations to support test campaigns as needed
• Prepared to travel (domestically and internationally) as required to ensure project success
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor's in Aerospace, Mechanical or other related engineering discipline or Master’s Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering (desired)
• 5 years of engineering experience, 3-5 of those in a testing focused environment (e.g., Propulsion, fluids, thermal, ground operations, etc.)
• Experience leading test teams as a Test Conductor or Test Engineer for a subsystem test campaign for a spacecraft/satellite/launch vehicle project
• Experience with data acquisition systems (LabView) and/or other test software tools
• Basic knowledge of engineering instrumentation
• Some experience in system engineering practices formal or informal (System mindset and aptitude)
• Experience developing, writing, and updating assembly and test procedures
• Experience planning for and leading complex systems integration activities
• Basic knowledge or experience working with ASME, NASA, AWS, OSHA, FAA and other industry and government standards • Experience with Agile methodology
• Proven track record working in a team environment, and willingness to lead junior engineers on a development test project.
• Flexible mindset and good communication skills
• Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and team focus with extensive multitasking and organizational experience.
• Excellent organization, communication, and leadership skills
• Capable of handling multiple projects at the same time
• Safety conscious
• Resourceful, versatile and creative problem solver
• Ability to prioritize and adapt in a dynamic work environment
• Ability to contribute to the growth of the Axiom organization
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
United States, Houston, Texas
Posted 12d ago