OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Softgoods Technician who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our mission-driven team is seeking bold and dynamic technicians who are preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species? This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. As a Softgoods Technician, you will lead the effort in the fabrication of components using textiles. You will create prototypes and support the development of flight hardware.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Using sewing machines and other equipment to produce softgoods products
• Maintenance and repair of sewing machines
• Performance of cutting operations
• Collaborating with designers and engineers on developing softgoods projects
• Creating layouts and patterns
• Ability to effectively interact and communicate with large cross-functional teams
• Assisting in the development of the Softgoods Lab
• Additional job duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• 3+ years of experience in sewing, fashion, upholstery, or relevant field
• Operational knowledge of various sewing machines: straight stitch, zig zag, and preprogrammed machines • Understanding of fabrics and materials
• Knowledge of sewing techniques and construction methods • Ability to take precise measurements • Ability to read technical drawings and work instructions
• Careful Attention to Detail
• Knowledge and operation of basic hand tools
• Ability to lift and move 30 lbs.
• Standing and sitting for long periods of time
• Climbing ladders, bending, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform job functions
• Openness to receive and give constructive criticism and willingness to cultivate collaboration
• Experience using laser cutters, heat sealers, vinyl cutters a plus
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
United States, Houston, Texas
Posted 12d ago