OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven Assembly Integration and Test team is seeking a bold and dynamic Ground Support Equipment Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Ground Support Equipment Engineer who will primarily be responsible for developing and procuring GSE (Ground Support Equipment) to support the assembly, integration and testing of Axiom subsystems and station. This professional will work closely with all engineering disciplines to understand their GSE needs and guide their designs to producibility. They will be responsible for developing efficient GSE designs and procuring them, in alignment with the assembly schedule.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Ground Support Equipment Engineer will have ownership of specific Axiom GSE.
• Design and develop efficient ground support equipment tailored to support the assembly, integration and testing of various Axiom subsystem assemblies and modules. • Compute load requirements and material stress factors to determine design specifications.
• Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine product feasibility.
• Analyze manufacturing processes to identify engineering solutions which maximize efficiency of the design.
• Prepare design specifications, technical specifications and/or shop drawings.
• Prepare technical documentation for vendor requisition and manufacturing.
• Provide Tracking/ scheduling to Integrated Master Schedule for the procurement manufacturing, Proof load testing and refurbishment GSE.
• Control manufacturer 's shop drawings and connection calculation notes and details.
• Supervise/Approve steel structure drawings issued by vendor designers and draftsmen.
• Oversee fabrication of GSE products build in-house.
• Inspect and test product GSE to ensure conformance to design specifications and standards. • Develop GSE maintenance and certification plan.
• Inventory equipment.
• Work with Engineering and Test Systems to ensure GSE is created and ready to support the production and testing of Axiom Space products within the assembly schedule.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering or related field required
• 5 years’ experience designing one-of-a-kind hardware, or similar role
• Experience with the design of ground support equipment
• Experience with manufacturing and design for producibility
• Capable of handling multiple projects at the same time
• Understanding of different manufacturing methods
• Ability to produce Detailed calculations and drawings of Structural elements
• Proficient in Solid Works
•Experience with Agile methodology
• Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and team focus with extensive multitasking and organizational experience.
• Capable of meeting deadlines
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Work on own, as required and able to use your own initiative
• Excellent organization, communication, and leadership skills
• Capable of handling multiple projects at the same time
• Safety conscious
• Resourceful, versatile and creative problem solver
• Ability to prioritize and adapt in a dynamic work environment
• Ability to contribute to the growth of the Axiom organization
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.