We are currently seeking an experienced Hardware Design & Development Engineer ideally with space or aeronautical segment experience, to work on Avionics in our Forres, Scotland facility on launch vehicle electronics design.
The job includes both establishing new and updating existing designs, and to carry these designs from schematics to prototypes, and via test campaigns all the way to flight-qualified hardware. As we move closer to launch there will be a significant focus on product ownership, design for manufacture and procuring components.
Hardware Design Engineer - Avionics
Orbex is Europe's most exciting space company. You will be joining a team developing one of the most innovative, high-tech orbital space launch vehicles in the world, and you'll have the chance to earn an ownership stake in the company.
We are a highly motivated and focused team, and we are looking for colleagues who share our vision of creating Europe's first fully private space access company.
We are looking for team members who will fit in immediately and hit the ground running.
You will have both theoretical and practical electronics experience, skilled both at the computer screen and in the lab, with tools and measurement equipment.
You will be required to work independently, take responsibility, and communicate with colleagues both within and outside the Forres site. It is essential that you can take a high reliability approach to hardware development whist also considering the manufacturing process.
• Schematic capture and PCB layout (we use Altium).
• Parts management and prototype ordering.
• Functional testing and environmental unit tests.
• Design and test documentation.
• Integration of designs with other launch vehicle avionics, at incremental development stages.
Qualifications and Experience
Typical qualifications and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering.
• 4 or more years of analog circuit design experience.
• Soldering expertise, including SMD.
• Hands-on electronics laboratory experience.
• Programming experience, C or Python.
• Detail-oriented and methodical working style.
• Technical documentation writing in English.
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for an experienced team member who will work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves without any need for supervision.
Typically you will be:-
• A creative, lateral thinker.
• Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy.
• Adventurous and team-oriented.
• Calm under pressure.
In this specific role you will need to be:-
• Comfortable with extreme multi-tasking.
• Highly detail-oriented.
• Energetic and proactive.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Competitive salary: £35,000-55,000 PA
• A significant equity stake in the company
• Relocation assistance where appropriate
• A flexible working culture (although candidates must be willing to relocate to the Forres area)
• Company Cycle to Work scheme