With OneWeb, You’ll Get To:
- Be part of the technology revolution in Space
- Bring transformative connectivity to remote places for the first time
- Support the launch and operations of our LEO satellites constellation
- Work with razor-sharp colleagues in a company where people come first
Who You Are: You’re passionate about satellite communications and are excited to be a self-starter who enjoys juggling the various facets of satellite operations and engineering. You’re agile and love the nitty gritty. You read, learn, examine, and are full of ideas. You’re sparked by a fast pace and new challenges. You want to make a real difference in the world by revolutionizing technology in Space.
What You’ll Do:
The Fleet Operations Spacecraft Subsystem Engineering (SSE) Senior Manager reports to the VP, Fleet Management Segment. The candidate acts as the senior technical leader for the members of the Spacecraft Subsystem Engineering team and provides support to the Fleet Operations Team for the operations of in-orbit subsystems, as well as for the operations preparation and operational conduct of in-orbit verification. The operations support may also include support to the on-board software management, and technical support for the hardware and software simulators. The Subsystem engineering manager should provide vision and guidance for the automation of routine analysis, analytics of large datasets, and development of analysis tools or other activities as part of the Fleet Management Engineering Team. The candidate should establish effective working relationships with the operations engineers and personnel responsible for mission control, mission planning, and flight dynamics. Additionally, the candidate should provide system and subsystem engineering guidance and support to the design team for the OneWeb Generation-2 mission.
The candidate should provide support to operations during normal working hours. The candidate will coordinate and schedule the subsystem engineering support to the Fleet Management team. The candidate may periodically provide shift support during critical satellite operations and may periodically staff the on-call support rotation such that safe and efficient operations are ensured by the Spacecraft Operations Team on a 24/7 basis. The SSE Senior Manager plays an integral role in the successful operations of the OneWeb constellation.
Duties will include:
- Provide senior technical guidance to the other members of the spacecraft subsystem engineering team, especially in the areas of troubleshooting, anomaly resolution, and satellite subsystem analysis
- Create a short term and long-term vision for the trending and performance analysis for the OneWeb spacecraft subsystems, including definition of additional automated analysis and checks where necessary
- Preparation and support of the launch, early operation, and on-orbit test of the OneWeb Spacecraft
- Creation & maintenance of relevant operations documentation, flight procedures and ground scripts
- Development of trending and performance analysis tools in collaboration with operations development teams
- Investigations into satellite anomalies and management of anomaly response activities
- Participation in the satellite on-call support rotation
- Participation on-console during critical satellite operations
- Support and participate in mission readiness activities
- Support Pre-launch and In-Orbit Satellite System Validation Tests and other Ground Segment Validation Testing.
- Provide consultancy to satellite and ground system concept and design reviews and operability discussions.
- Review space to ground interface specifications and flight operations manuals.
- Provide system and subsystem engineering support to the OneWeb Generation-2 mission.
What It Takes:
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering related field. Additional education and training through an advanced technical degree or continuous learning is highly desired
- Spacecraft monitor and control operations
- Spacecraft operations preparation engineering
- Familiarity with spacecraft flight software design and operation
- Low Earth Orbit spacecraft design or Assembly Integration and Test activities at system or subsystem level
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take ownership of all aspects of job and take initiative. Strong data analysis, processing and synthesis skills are essential with an ability to recognize opportunities for improvements in areas of work and implement appropriate solutions
- Excellent oral and written skills and communication / briefing skills is essential
- A minimum of 7 years of aerospace industry or equivalent experience required, with 10 to 15 years preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work to tight deadlines in high stress environments
What We’d Love:
- The ideal candidate will have 7 – 15 years of real-time flight operations experience in:
- Multi-satellite LEO constellation operations experience
- Experience with spacecraft flight software development and testing including Unit Testing, Integration & Testing, and Flight Software Qualification Testing
- Experience in the development and/or operations of low-cost spacecraft
- Experience in the development and/or operations of highly automated spacecraft (or other autonomous systems)
- Experience with rules engines or other workflow management tools
- Computer programming skills - in particular Python
- Experience with embedded operating systems, such as RTEMS, VxWorks, Integrity, etc.
- Experience in the operation or development of satellite ground segment facilities, in particular procedure development, monitor and control, mission planning, on-board software management, performance analysis, configuration management, satellite database configuration and simulator facilities
- Familiarity with On-Board Macro Procedure and On-Board Position Scheduler concepts
- Familiarity with the CCSDS Packet Utilization Standard, customization, and usage
Where You’ll Be:
Satellite Operations Center in London, UK or Tysons Corner, VA. London preferred.
OneWeb is a global leader in connectivity from Space. We are building a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites with a network of global gateway stations and a range of user terminals to provide an affordable, fast, high-bandwidth and low-latency broadband communications services, connected to the IoT future and a pathway to 5G. Find out more at http://www.oneweb.world