SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The aerodynamics team is responsible for developing the external flowfield environments for all current and future vehicles (Starship/HLS, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Crew Dragon, etc.) for ascent and re-entry. This involves analytical and experimental predictions which are integral to designing the vehicle for all phases of flight.
- Develop aerodynamic design solutions for novel vehicle challenges.
- Create, mesh, run, and post process computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models.
- Lead the review of post-flight data and compare the data to pre-flight estimates.
- Create wind tunnel models and process wind tunnel data.
- Participate in the research and development process for a new generation of rockets and spacecraft.
- Responsible for all external flowfield simulations.
- Collaborate cross functionally with design, development and test groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
- Experience with aerodynamic analysis tools and experimental methods.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in external, compressible fluid dynamics.
- 4+ years of professional aerodynamics experience.
- Experience in fast-paced design environment.
- Previous background with translating engineering analyses into workable design solutions for flight vehicles.
- Knowledge of multiple CFD packages.
- Experience with Pointwise and other CFD meshing software.
- Experience with NX and other CAD software for generating water-tight geometries.
- Aerolasticity and flutter analysis experience.
- Aeroacoustics analysis experience.
- Wind tunnel testing experience.
- Low level coding in MATLAB or Python.
- Venting analysis and internal pressure predictions.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.