With OneWeb, You’ll Get To:
- Be part of the technology revolution in Space
- Accelerate your career through fast paced experiential learning and executive-level exposure
- Work with razor-sharp colleagues in a company where people come first
- Bring transformative broadband connectivity to remote places for the first time
- Drive the use of innovative technologies and ways of working to achieve business results
- Bring the power of SAAS/Public Cloud to a global digital telecoms business and create industry leading performance benchmarks.
Who You Are:
You will be reporting directly to the Head of Shared Services, working alongside other members of the Shared Services team, as well as the Digital Products, Networks and Operations functions. The Senior Cloud Engineer will ensure secure and resilient engineering practices are in place across all parts of the enterprise deploying and consuming cloud resources (private, public and hybrid), as well as support the wider Shared Services team in delivering, managing and monitoring shared solutions for use by business areas and the technical operations team.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, build, delivery, automation, maintenance and ongoing improvement of operational cloud services, related tools and pipelines;
- Creating and supporting a DevOps culture within the Shared Services group (You Build It, You Run It);
- As OneWeb expands, develop and recruit a team of experts in public and private cloud services;
- Defining, selecting and owning secure, resilient and repeatable cloud delivery frameworks, standards, patterns and guidelines for use by engineering, development and operations teams across all business segments; and
- Providing guidance and educational material to development and engineering teams to support our strategic “Cloud First” and “Secure by Design” goals.
- Assist in the recruitment, and mentoring of new team members where required.
- Help maintain the skills profile of the wider Shared Services capability to ensure appropriate input can be provided across all business segments.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends (e.g. AWS and OpenStack Roadmaps) and upcoming developments relevant to cloud services.
- Assist in investigation of cloud-related technologies, products, methods and techniques to assess their potential benefit to the business.
- Work with customer and stakeholder groups to agree working relationships and (where applicable) collaborative workflows, responsibilities and service levels.
- Recommend applicable certifications for Cloud Services Engineers (and for other teams), and actively support staff progression towards those certifications.
- Assist in validation of technical aspects of strategic directives and subsequently help design, build and implement associated virtual infrastructure, tools and methodologies.
- Take part in Change Control processes, change proposals/requests and assurance reviews to ensure cloud engineering aspects are considered and addressed.
- Actively support Security and Resilience Improvement Programmes across the enterprise, both centrally and within business segments.
- Maintain and develop a network of industry contacts to ensure the organisation benefits from the widest possible range of experience and knowledge from others in industry, and in return provides its own share of input to that common body of knowledge.
- Provide input to OneWeb’s library of documentation, including standards, frameworks, guidance and good practice, for consumption by development and operations teams across the business.
What It Takes:
- Have worked in technical cloud development and automation roles for at least 5 years
- Have led technical cloud services teams
- Have experience of a range of cloud technologies:
- Required: deep experience of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and their current offerings
- Highly Desirable: recent experience of providing self-service account vending via AWS Landing Zone, and control/monitoring via SecurityHub/ControlTower
- Highly Desirable: experience of working with OpenStack and similar technologies to deliver private cloud services
- Desirable: experience of Microsoft Azure development and automation
- Have a strong focus on ensuring security is embedded in all aspects of cloud service delivery
- Have influenced decision-making at project and programme levels
- Possess a wide-ranging technical skillset, including deep understanding in at least one specialist area
- Be highly skilled in coding for automation (infrastructure as code)
- Hold relevant certifications in cloud technologies (e.g. applicable AWS/Azure certifications)
- Be aware of current “good practice” patterns, frameworks and tools for secure and resilient delivery of public and private cloud services
- Be a good communicator, in both verbal and written form
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be able to prioritise conflicting workloads and work well under pressure, meeting demanding deadlines and professionally managing business expectations
- Focus at all times on business outcomes, and ensure all Cloud Engineering activity takes place in support of business objectives
- Be well-organised, and able to organise and direct others in their tasks, in order to best support business objectives
- Continually maintain advanced knowledge and awareness in their field
- Present a professional image of self and organisation (both Cloud Engineering and the Shared Services organisation) to manage, develop and facilitate open, constructive and pro-active communication with key business stakeholders
Where You’ll Be:
- In our London, UK Office
- The Senior Engineer’s global remit means international travel may be necessary, and the Shared Services team may be spread across multiple countries (as legal, regulatory and logistic constraints require), primarily in the UK and US, but potentially elsewhere in the future.
OneWeb is a global leader in connectivity from Space. We are building a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites with a network of global gateway stations and a range of user terminals to provide an affordable, fast, high-bandwidth and low-latency broadband communications services, connected to the IoT future and a pathway to 5G. Find out more at http://www.oneweb.world