SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS SOFTWARE ENGINEER
The hardware in the loop (HITL) systems team is responsible for developing, maintaining and improving the hardware simulation system for Falcon, Dragon and Starship vehicles. As a HITL systems software engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to work with a cross functional team of propulsion, GNC, avionics and software engineers to bridge the gap between flight operations and simulation on the testbed. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload.
- Work with engineers across the department to develop and maintain hardware in the loop (HITL) simulation capabilities supporting Starship, Falcon and Dragon vehicles
- Manage configuration and development of core network infrastructure for HITL testbeds
- Develop and integrate software modules and tools to support and expand existing HITL architecture and software framework
- Define and develop HITL unit test cases for sub-system validation of new hardware on the vehicle
- Analyze test results and root cause issues that require in-depth investigations across simulated hardware vehicle systems vehicle on the testbed
- Monitor network health and troubleshoot networking or server related issues
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, math or science discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience with object oriented software development (Python, C++)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Strong understanding of datacenter networking and experience operating LAN/WAN/MAN/WLAN networks
- Experience introducing and integrating new hardware nodes into existing networks
- Experience with software documentation, creating system diagrams, and enumerating software requirements
- Thorough knowledge of computer architecture and networks
- Knowledge of electronics, controls, motor design, and physical mechanics
- Familiarity with the following:
- Linux (scripting, network troubleshooting)
- Network protocols (TCP/UDP/gRPC/IPv6)
- Continuous Integration / Maintaining hardware test setups
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends if needed to meet critical deadlines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.