OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Mechanical Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will be located at our HQ in Houston, TX and is responsible for the design and development of the critical components that make up the structural and mechanical design of the first commercial space station in the world.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Own the design and development of the structural and mechanical components that make up the module’s systems.
· Perform analysis on designs through free-body diagrams, hand calculations, FEA, and CAD.
· Deliver high-quality models and drawings in a fast-paced environment.
· Accountable for your designs, calculations, analysis, and results.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general-public.
· Systematically document progress, capture knowledge, and maintain engineering notebook.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar technical discipline
· 5-10 years of professional experience with SOLIDWORKS 3D modeling software or similar computer aided design tool
· 5-10 years of professional experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y-14.
· Basic understanding of SOLIDWORKS environment and tools available.
· Experience with FEA software packages
· Evidence of excellent mechanical design competence and engineering fundamentals.
· Ability to clearly communicate ideas with others on the design team, manufacturers, stakeholders, and external clients to arrive at efficient solutions.
Other Desired Skills & Experience:
· CSWA, CSWP or CSWE preferred
· Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
· Experience with Model-based Design (CSWP-MBD)
· Experience with SolidWorks Product Data Management (PDM) Software (CSWP-PDM)
· Experience with NX/Simcenter 3D is preferred
· Experience with Atlassian suite
· Leadership experience on a project team
· Spaceflight hardware design background
· Proactive problem-solving skills
· Rapid design and prototyping abilities
· Experience with interfacing with fabrication and secondary processes specialists
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
United States, Houston, Texas
Posted 3 months ago