SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
BROADBAND COMMUNICATIONS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
As a member of the integration/test team, this position will play a critical role for integrating, testing and evaluating the functional performance, reliability and robustness of a complex satellite communication network. You will integrate the communication system components on satellite and ground station. You will explore, assess, track, and report performance status to project leaders. You will implement tools to conduct, track and improve testing processes and effectiveness. You will ensure that satellites and ground network provide the best possible communications system performance while also ensuring compliance with our operating licenses.
- Integrate communications and networking component systems
- Develop intermediate and prototype technologies to accelerate integration and development
- Create test plans, templates and strategies for block and system level tests, to test integrated broadband communications solutions for both function and performance
- Write scripts using common scripting languages
- Develop, maintain and extend test automation infrastructure
- Maintain and continuously improve test collateral and processes, continuous integration
- Execute functional testing, system testing, regression and performance testing, in the laboratory and in the field
- Configure test equipment for operation (e.g. satellite link emulator, network emulator)
- Interpret test automation results and track new and existing test failures
- Work with component design teams to remedy test failures and improve performance
- Prepare reports documenting test results, test coverage and other KPI metrics, and communicate issues effectively with developers and managers
- Keep abreast of latest advances in test and automation practices
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- 1+ years of hands-on test and integration experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Demonstrated proficiency in C/C++ and Python
- Knowledge of satellite and wireless communication theory
- 3+ years of experience integrating and/or testing cellular 3G/4G/5G, WiFi, or similar protocol stacks
- 3+ years of experience with Linux and Linux tools for automation
- Proficiency in networking and RF
- Familiarity with basic analog and digital components
- Familiar with lab test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generator, satellite link emulator/channel emulator, network analyzers, packet load modules, and network emulators
- Demonstrable experience in script development for test automation
- Deep understanding in communication and signal processing theory
- Demonstrable experience in creating test plans and setting up test beds
- Experience with Atlassian tool suite - JIRA, Stash, Bamboo
- Familiar with version control tool Git/Gerrit, SVN
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with design/verification of complex ASICs/FPGAs
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.